Thursday, October 12, 2017

The Wall

I had Jorja's CCR this morning. The counselors take the kids during their biology class and talk to them about what they need for graduation and different pathways they can explore. They send a letter inviting the parents, but not many usually show up. I got there a bit early. Kelsey Court was the only other person in the room. She used to be our counselor, but the names got moved and we have a different one now. I was talking to her and asked her if they were still doing the Sons of the Pioneers scholarship. Maysen received that one, so I assumed Stockton would be able to as well. Kelsey said that each counselor gets to pick one student to receive that scholarship. That made my eyes bulge. "And you picked Maysen?" Kelsey said, "I think she's amazing." That made me so happy. It doesn't surprise me that Stockton didn't get picked. The new counselor doesn't even know him.

Evan's mom came in a bit later and we found a seat together. Soon all the kids filed in, but I didn't see Jorja. There were a lot of kids. I was looking around and saw Isaac in the back of the classroom. I then noticed Jorja sitting next to him hiding behind her backpack. I motioned for her to come sit by me, she ignored me. I stood up and called out to her. Ignored again. I said, "I will keep standing up until you come up here." I heard the counselors laugh saying, "I love that mom." Jorja, Evan, Shafer and Isaac then came to sit by us. Jorja got off easy, I could have been a lot more embarrassing.

I walked by this wall of pictures as I was leaving school. This wall is in the main part of school, in between the theater room and the counselors' office. I have never looked closely at it before. I looked at it today and was shocked to see a picture of Mike! I ended up finding three different pictures of him. Didn't expect that!
Wall of pictures
 1992 Student body officers
Mike, Bryce, Heath, Shandon, Matt
Sheena, Emily
 The first colored picture is Shandon, the second one is Mike
 1992 officers again
Shandon, Heath, Bryce
Mike, Emily, Sheena, Matt
I took Stockton, Preston and Gavin to diving today. While I was there Sam called me. She said she had been thinking of Jorja and how much she likes Hank Smith. She asked me if she thought our stake would be interested in having a fireside by Hank Smith. Jorja was thrilled when I told her about this conversation. Sam said that Covenant was wanting to ask Hank Smith to do a fireside based on the topic dating. They want to record it so it can be distributed. (Sam is Hank Smith's editor.) I hope this works out. I tried calling Julie Valentine, the stake young womens president, but I haven't heard back. Anyway, that was all during diving. I will end the diving segment with a video of Stockton doing a standing front 2 1/2.
Jorja was gone most of the evening. The Alta/Corner Canyon game was tonight. There was a Love Not Hate pep rally before. Hailey came up and got Jorja. The football game didn't start until 7:00, on a school night. I spent the time texting my brothers during the Washington/Cubs game. We texted a lot, especially during the 5th inning. That was awful. Alta also lost. Jorja texted me to pick her up. This is how much I love her. I went to pick up Jorja when the bottom of the 9th inning in game five of the playoffs was starting. By the time I got to Alta the Nationals had lost. That stinks. Here are some pictures I begged Jorja to send me.
Drew, Jorja, Isaac, Hailey
 Drew, Jorja, Hailey and poor kid with black hands
 Drew and Jorja
Jorja was so cold during the game. She had only brought a sweatshirt. She didn't want to bring her coat because it is white and today was a black or red out, or something like that. Drew ran home and brought Jorja a blanket. I love how Jorja's friends watch out for her.

No comments: