Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Nationals Park

I surprised Mallory at her school today. It really was a surprise because Cassie packed Mallory an empty lunch box. She packed me a giant lunch with food for both of us. Cassie dropped me off at the school about ten minutes before Mallory's lunch was supposed to start. The problem was, they wouldn't let me in. They started a new policy in the last couple of weeks. Cassie's dad was able to get in less than a month ago, I think, with no problem. Cassie had left her phone at home, so the school couldn't get ahold of her. John didn't answer his phone either. I told the office that I had Mallory's lunch. Finally the principal walked me down to the lunch room. She said she didn't want Mallory to go hungry. Mallory jumped up when she saw me and yelled, "Aunt Stephanie! This is the best day ever!" Pretty sure the principal got the point that I wasn't there to hurt Mallory. Mallory was eating school lunch. She said she opened her lunchbox and nothing was inside, so she went to get school lunch. She was pretty excited about that as well.
Mallory
There are doors to the bathroom in the lunchroom. You can see the boys' bathroom behind us in the next picture. What a great idea!
Stephanie & Mallory
 Mallory loved the Trip yogurt. I tried to get a recreation of her first bite....
 Mallory also loved these pretzel hearts.
John came home from work early today. It was so nice. I really wanted to go to a Nationals game with John and Brett. Today is the only day the Nats were playing at home while I am here. It's super nice because I know how crazy busy John has been at work, and it is always awkward getting time off at a new job. Because he came home early, he was able to greet Mallory as she got off the bus. I think Mallory was excited!
John
 John & Mallory
 Mallory, Trevor & John
We drove up to DC and met Brett and Rachel at a park near the airport. We got there first and were able to spend some time walking around. Brandon loved it when the airplanes would fly over our heads. They were super close and loud!
Cassie, Brandon, Mallory, Trevor, Stephanie, John
 Collin was there too, just faced the other way. Isn't he adorable?
Brett and Rachel were able to park the cars in the Navy yard. We walked from there to the stadium. How fun to go to a ballgame with this group!
Brett, Cassie & Collin, John
Eve, Trevor, Grace, Stephanie, Brandon, Marie, Mallory, Mina
 Rachel's in this picture. :)
Trevor and Brandon LOVE superheroes. John pointed to this mobile like thing of baseball players and said to them, "Look! Superhero baseball players!" Haha! Sorry lady that I got a weird picture of you though. I just wanted a picture of the superhero baseball players.
 Brett, Stephanie, John
We did it! Nats game with two of my brothers.
It rained quite a lot. We were so lucky the game didn't get rained out. Lucky that Brett got us the best tickets in the stadium! They were high up, but were under an overhang. We stayed dry the entire game. Sometimes it was pouring rain, but we were nice and cozy. During innings they would drag the field and try not to get mud puddles. It made some crazy looking patterns. We did get to see 4 home runs today, including one from Bryce Harper. The Nats won the game 10-1. The poor Mariners picture had a low ERA at the start of the game. The Nats were hitting him like crazy. We were just watching his ERA getting higher and higher as the game progressed. The Nats scored 8 runs in the 4th inning. There was a single, triple and three home runs. Yikes. Anyways as the Mariner pitcher was leaving the field, John pointed out to me how he was walking in like Charlie Brown. Poor guy. 
 I tried to photobomb Brett and Marie.
Marie, Brett, Stephanie, Mina, Mallory
 Marie pretending the package of gum is a camera. Haha!
It was a cold, wet, late night for the kids; but they all did great. Yay! Cassie was a little worried about it. Brett talked her into going last minute. Chasing kids late at night in the cold didn't sound like her idea of fun. Luckily it turned out alright. Plus, Cassie and Rachel got to hang out in the Mothers' Lounge. Sounded like it was pretty nice in there. Great that they have things like that.

We walked back to the Navy yard. Brett and John and some of the kids went to get the cars. We walked around the block to the exit so we could meet up with them. I feel bad because I wish I would have given John a better hug before I left. I gave him a good-bye hug, but it was almost like a 'see you in a few days' hug. I wish I would have grabbed him tight and squeezed his guts out. Well, not literally. I was so sad on the plane ride home. I kept thinking about how I wish I had hugged him tighter. I know I'm going to see Brett again in a few weeks, but I have no idea when I'll see John. It's going to be hard for him to come back and visit. Virginia is a long ways away. At least when Mike was there we lived in Georgia and I knew Brett wasn't going to be there for more than three years. With John, I have no idea. It is super expensive to fly and driving is even farther than it was for us in Georgia. It makes me sad. I wish I could have a do-over.

While I was watching the Nats defeat the Mariners, Jorja had her last softball game of the season. Mike didn't record any of the game for me, but he got this. Jorja's coach said she would give a gift card to whoever scored the most runs during the season. It was a tie. Jorja and Raina, the two catchers.
Jorja then went around taking selfies and getting people to sign her ball. She even got the ump to sign it. She goofed around with him a lot when she would play catcher.
Ump & Jorja
 Jorja & Raina

 Jorja & her coach
Even though we got home from the game pretty late we still managed to get in a game of Dominion. Eve decided she wanted to be a night owl with us for a little while. Rachel ended up winning the game. I'm going to miss being here, although I'm excited to see my kids again.
Stephanie & Eve

No comments: