Saturday, March 25, 2017

1st* and 33

Stockton and Preston had an AAU dive meet today at the University of Utah. It is Zones. The top six finishers with a high enough qualifying score get to go to Nationals. This year Nationals are in San Antonio, Texas over Memorial Day weekend. Stockton didn't want to dive on Sunday, so he dove his one meter with the 18-19 year olds. He did great! I put a lot of videos on here, just couldn't help myself. Usually Stockton HATES voluntaries, which are just the basic dives. Front dive, back dive, inward dive, reverse dive. It's funny they are called voluntaries, because it is not voluntary to do them. Anyways, Stockton did great! Probably his best meet he has ever had.
Stockton ~ inward dive
Stockton ~ reverse dive
Stockton ~ inward 1 1/2
Stockton ~ back 1 1/2
Stockton ~ inward 1 1/2
Stockton ~ front 2 1/2
Stockton went straight from competing on one meter to warming up on three meter. While he was warming up, I saw him hurry across the pool. I noticed they were giving out awards. I was super excited because I thought there was a chance he would take first. I was paying attention to the other scores, and I really thought he had it. Then they had these three guys on the podium and no Stockton. I was confused.
The lady in the picture above turned around and noticed Stockton. She gave him a medal and a certificate. He took 5th/last. I couldn't believe it. To say I was shocked was an understatement. Stockton walked to me and held up his certificates and medal. I asked him what happened. He said he didn't know.
Diving is such a mental sport. Stockton got back on the board to finish his 3 meter warm-up. His first dive his legs flopped. I was wondering if he was thinking, "I had my best meet and still take last? What is the point?" Anyways, later we learned that the reason Stockton took last was because he was diving "exhibition". He was diving with older kids. You would think that would be a disadvantage and they wouldn't punish you for that. We were able to look up everybody's scores. Stockton took first by over fifteen points. It kind of makes me mad. Stockton has never taken first at a big meet before. He's taken first at the neighborhood meets, but not something like this. He didn't get the opportunity to stand on the top of the podium. Plus, he had to stand in the last place spot. Then he had to compete in 3 meter. He didn't do as well in 3 meter. I think if he had known he finished first it might have changed things a bit.
Stockton ~ reverse
Stockton ~ reverse 1 1/2
There is a big difference in the judging for Stockton's group and the judging for Preston's group. Here is a good example.
Stockton ~ inward 2 1/2
Preston ~ front dive
Preston ~ back jump
My favorite, Preston ~ inward
Preston scored 5s on that dive. I am super proud of him though. Yesterday he kept balking on that dive. This time he did it without any hesitation. I didn't get his front jump. It was so cute and good!
Stockton
We went to Red Robin after the meet. All four of us were quite exhausted. Mike missed Stockton's one meter competition. He was looking at times of copy stores and realized that he needed to go to Office Max and be there by 2:00. He left and was able to get Stockton's signs printed up while Stockton was doing the meet. I told him that I think Stockton would rather have the signs done then to have him watch the meet. Too bad he missed it though, since Stockton did so well. It is a relief to have the signs printed out though.

As we were getting out of the car to go in the house Bubs drove up. We watched his kids tonight. Bubs and Ange went to a concert. We had the kids sleepover. Mike and Stockton worked on Stockton's signs the rest of the night. They decided to make the handle look like a sword, using the 3D printer. I think it will look great! Stockton also got his ACT results. He earned a 33. I videoed him opening the envelope, just like a mission call. Too bad the video wouldn't upload. Stockton was happy with his score. Wow. Today was a long day.

No comments: