Friday, December 16, 2016

Steve Young

Jorja and I got up bright and early for her orthodontist appointment. She hates Friday appointments because she doesn't get to sleep in. Friday is late start for her, so I try and schedule all her appointments then so she doesn't miss school.  Jorja got a retainer today.  She has to wear it at night for who knows how long.  We go back in six weeks.

I had my last book club with Preston for The False Prince.  The kids loved the book and loved talking about it.  It was awesome.  Some of them have already started reading The Runaway King.  I can't find that one, but I know we have it around here somewhere.  I need to find it so Preston can read it over Christmas break.

After book club I went straight to the Deseret Book store at Ft. Union.  I heard on the radio last night that Steve Young would be doing a book signing there from 4-6.  I was worried I was already too late, based on my experiences at the John Stockton book signing.  I got there a little after 12:00.  I didn't want to buy the books if I couldn't get them signed.  I waited in line and asked a lady about it.  She brought me to some people who were setting up for the signing.  They said, "We were wondering what time people would start showing up."  I got to be first in line.  They even let me sit in a comfortable chair the entire time.  I brought my sewing, so I just worked on Collin's stocking while I was waiting.  I tried to take a selfie, but it didn't work out so well.
Stephanie
The line was pretty long by the time the signing started.  I'm glad I was able to wait on a comfy chair instead of standing awkwardly in a line. The people behind me are quite a ways back in the line because it wrapped around awhile before it got to them.  Jorja texted me and asked if I could pick her and Katlyn up from school.  What?  I told her I had already been waiting two hours in line and I had two more to go.  I was not giving up my spot!  It was snowing hard outside.  Jorja and Katlyn walked home!  I think it is about three miles.  They had to walk through snow and slush in their converse.  They got home a couple of minutes after I did.  I was about to go out looking for them when they came in shivering through the door.
I was texting my brothers and didn't even notice Steve Young come in until he stood right in front of some boys sitting on the floor and said, "How are you guys doing?  Should we get this show on the road?"  He was one hour early!  I was so excited!  Too bad the guy next to him took him away to do a radio program first.
I didn't end up being first in line.  A guy had flown down to Arizona to go to his signing.  Steve Young's plane got cancelled and he had to reschedule.  They told this guy he could be first in line without waiting. He brought a whole group of people with lots of stuff to sign.  I didn't have to wait long, so it wasn't a problem.
 Stephanie & STEVE YOUNG!
My brothers were teasing me for wearing my Utah State shirt.  I decided to wear it because Maysen is coming home today and I am so excited about that!  A lot of these pictures look exactly the same, but I'm posting them anyway because . . . Steve Young!
Here is some of my texting conversations with my brothers . . . 

Brett:  Sweet.  If you see John and Cassie they can hand deliver it to me.
Me: That's the plan.
John: I will hold the book as ransom to make Brett come help me unpack.
Brett: You should put the book on the bottom of the truck.
John: I'll hide it in the truck and you can search for it by removing all my things.
Brett: Did you ask him if he ever gave dad his autograph?  I still don't know if dad forged that or not.
Me: You will have to compare the two...
Brett: It was on my bulletin board for like 10 years so I have the image in my mind of what it looks like.
Mike: I have the image in my mind too...guaranteed forgery.  Dad is finally busted and we'll have proof.
Me: They had me put sticky notes on the book if I wanted to personalized.  He ended up only personalizing three!  Matt's Dad's and Scoops!
Mike: Doot!  The 3 worst possible choices...
Matt: I think it is a good idea for him to personalize my book and not Mike's
Brett: That signature does look pretty close to the one on the bulletin board.  Just sloppier, which is probably expected 50 million signatures later.  I think dad's was legit.  After his Ty Detmer antics I wasn't so sure.
It was nice of my brothers to keep me company while I waited.  Mike drove up to Logan in the snow while I was doing this.  Maysen had her last final.  Horticulture.  She is done and so happy!  It will be nice to have her around again for a few weeks.  Mike and Maysen got home right before we needed to leave for the Nutcracker.  I didn't get them tickets because I didn't know if they would make it.  They weren't too disappointed.  Maysen set up in the guest room and was really excited about that.

The Nutcracker was at the Aerobatics place.  Stockton's friend, Gavin, was the Nutcracker.  Too bad Gavin spent most of his time watching the other people perform.  I think it would make a little more sense if we were familiar with the Nutcracker story.  We were surprised to see Jorja's friend Dallin performing.  He was the rat king.

I was able to convince Katlyn's dad to let Katlyn sleepover.  Her parents don't do sleepovers, so I was happily surprised when they said yes. Katlyn's mom is in the hospital again.  She had hip surgery a few weeks ago and something keeps getting infected.  I think this is her third surgery now.  I hope this is the last time.  She is way too young to be having hip problems!
These little kids were adorable ~ Nutcracker
We stopped at Iceburg after the show, then headed to Katlyn's house so she could pick up a few things.  Today was a long, happy day.  I fell into bed completely exhausted!

No comments: