Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Space Derby

Preston had his space derby today.  Our pack is doing the space derby this year instead of the pinewood derby.  Preston made his spaceship look like a cream soda bottle.  He was quite proud of it.    We had no idea how it would do, but he did great!  I guess the lighter rockets go faster.  Preston didn't have any wings on his....because there are no wings on cream soda bottles.  It went a lot faster than the ones with wings.
Preston
 Preston setting up for race two
I didn't have a good angle for the first race.  It is not a good video, but Preston got 2nd place.  He got 1st place on the next two races.
2nd race
3rd race
I had to leave after the third race to take Jorja to her softball game.  I gave Preston one more hug and then I headed out.  I left Preston with Stockton and $10 for the bake auction after the event.
Preston
Luckily Preston was in races 1, 2, and 3.  His last race was race 9. Preston was pretty excited.  All he had to do was place 1st or 2nd and he would win the entire thing.  If he placed 3rd he would tie and they would do a tiebreaker, but he already won that rocket twice.  This was the last race.... Wait!  Quick story before the last race.  When I left I asked Stockton to video his race and take any videos.  Stockton told me that he would.  Stockton was working on homework the entire time. Right when they were setting up the cars for race 8 it dawned on Stockton that his phone was at home.  He got up slowly toward the doors and then darted home.  He ran as fast as he could grabbed his phone and ran back.  He got back in time for race 9.  These races go pretty fast, I'm so glad he made it!  Too bad the race didn't quite go Preston's way.
Last race
For some reason his rocket did not go at all.  You can see him quickly droop his head, and then he was fine.  We don't know what happened. Stockton and Preston think that it was because he wound up his propeller right after his last race and then held it for five races before it was his turn.  Anyways, too bad.  He still managed to get 2nd place overall.  He also won the award for the 'Most Realistic' rocket.
Preston
 Score board.  Preston was rocket #1.
Preston was happy that his 2nd place ribbon was attached to a Twix bar and the 1st place ribbon was attached to Twizzlers.  Crew ended up taking first.
Lincoln, Ethan, Matthew
Luke, Aiden, Preston, Crew, Burke
There was a bake auction after the derby.  I left the boys with $10 to get something if they wanted to. While I was at Jorja's game I get this text from Stockton, "An apple pie just sold for $61...we'll see how far we can go with $10'  After a cake sold for $80 Stockton gave Preston the $10 bill and said good luck and went to get a drink of water.  When Stockton came back Preston had a $20 along with his $10.  Apparently Ray or Sara Henderson had pity on Preston.  Stockton's not sure which one.  Anyway they came home with this almond cake thing and a gigantic sweet roll.

Hailey came home from school with Jorja.  They came to the space derby as well.  I took Jorja and Hailey to the softball game.  Jorja caught the first inning and did great.  She came to me after the inning and said that they were going to put her in as pitcher.  WHAT????? Jorja was goofing around at softball practice on Saturday and was trying to learn how to pitch.  She pitched to me a couple of times on Sunday and Monday, but no one has taught her how to do anything. She hasn't even had a practice.  She did pretty good for just being thrown out there.  She was just working on getting it in the strike zone. The other team got some pretty good hits off of her.  Jorja said, "I wish someone would pitch that slow to me in a game."
The last inning the other pitcher really struggled.  Jorja was playing left field.  Her coach called her to pitch with bases loaded and no outs. That's not stressful at all!
The other team ended up winning.  This is the first game Jorja's team has lost.  I guess we will be practicing with Jorja in case this happens again.  I took so many videos so I could text Mike what was happening while he is being bored in California.  Just kidding.  I have no idea if he is being bored, but it sounds boring to me.  Mostly because I have no idea what he does for a job.

No comments: