Monday, August 1, 2016

Stockton's First

I am now officially one week behind on this blog.  We have had a fantastic week and I will do my best to remember everything.  I know I will miss a lot of things, because I feel like I am losing a bit of my short term memory. . . I wasn't able to keep up on my blog because of lack of internet.  I should have written a daily page to help, but I was too busy playing Dominion until one or two every night.  Anyway, back to last week.  I spent most of Monday doing laundry and getting ready for our trip.  Stockton had a dive competition today, so we couldn't get up to Idaho at the same time as most of my family.  It is conference, which is the biggest competition for the community swim club league.  We missed last year, so I was hoping to make it this year.  I would have skipped out, but we thought Willy would be leaving today.  That made planning on leaving to Idaho during the day impossible.  By the time I found out Willy was leaving on Sunday we had already committed to this competition.  Anyway, the competition started with warmups at 3:00.  Diving usually goes pretty fast, so I wasn't too worried.  I forgot that at conference they split the competition by age and have a half an hour warm up in between each session.  We ended up finishing late. Stockton did fantastic and took first place.  My favorite thing about Stockton diving at this pool is the beautiful pictures.  I love the mountains behind his dives.  Mike took snapshots while I took videos. Stockton had five dives.  The first one was his highest score.  That is the only one I didn't record the video of them announcing his scores. Oh well.
Stockton
103B ~ Front 1 1/2 pike
203C ~ Back 1 1/2 
303C ~ Reverse 1 1/2
404C ~ inward double
105C ~ Front 2 1/2
I think they didn't give the older boys their full warmup.  Stockton only had a chance to do two of his dives before they called it.  It made me laugh when they announced he was doing an inward double.  I heard one of the other divers father say, "Inward double?  Is that even possible?"  That is a new dive Stockton has learned.  It is always fun to watch him do something new.
Stockton ~ First place
 Top 3
Diving is kind of weird.  The more divers you have, the more advantage you have to win as a team.  They take the total score of the divers and add them up.  They don't take into account that some have less people diving for them.  This is especially true in high school. Stockton is the only one diving for his school, he has no chance against a school that has ten people diving for them.  Anyway, our team placed 3rd this year. Stockton was the only one diving for our team in the last age group. Only one other boy was still there when the team awards were announced.  I'm not sure what his name is.
3rd place trophy
Annie was the coach this year.  This is the first year Mike Tuckfield hasn't coached them.  Stockton went to a few practices, but not much. Preston seemed to like her just fine.  I'm glad they were able to find someone, it would be sad if the dive team couldn't compete because they couldn't find anyone who could coach them.
Stockton, trophy boy, Annie
We hurried home from this competition and headed out as soon as we were able.  We left about 9:00. I was so tired by the time we left.  Jorja was sitting up with Mike, so I decided to take a nap.  I woke up when we were at Idaho Falls.  A couple of times I would slightly wake up and look at Jorja's bed.  I never saw her there, so I thought she was with Mike.  When we got to Idaho Falls and I came out to tell Preston he NEEDED to get to sleep, I saw Jorja curled up on her bed.  Whoops.  I asked Mike how long she stayed with him.  She made it to just past Lagoon.  We arrived at Steve & Sharon's lodge at 1:30 in the morning. Preston was awake almost the entire way.  Too bad he didn't use his power of not sleeping to keep Mike company.  When we found the lodge it took us about a half an hour to find where the RV parking was. We almost gave up and parked in front of the borrow barn.  We could see where we were supposed to go, just not the road to get us there. Finally Mike and I got out and walked around until we could find what we were supposed to do.  It was nice when we finally got set up . . . at two in the morning.  At least we made it!

No comments: