Sunday, August 28, 2016

Starting Table

Today was Anthony Covington's mission farewell.  That is weird.  We were a few minutes late and it stressed me out.  We should have driven to church.  Instead we walked and were late.  I did not want to walk up to the front where we usually sit, I wanted to just sneak in the back. Stockton was ahead, so Mike texted him to find a seat in the back.  We got there while the opening song was playing and I couldn't find Stockton and Preston.  Someone who I recognized, but couldn't place got my attention and pointed out where my boys were.  They were in the middle of a row towards the back.  That is not what I had in mind.  I walked towards them, completely embarrassed when I realized there was no room for us.  I don't know if there was no room to begin with or if Stockton and Preston didn't save us a spot before the other lady got there.  I whispered to Stockton that we would be in the back, then I hurried to the back of the chapel completely mortified.  I don't know why being late embarrasses me so much and I know my family doesn't understand.  We were all the way ready today when Preston decides he needs to eat....again.... I hurried and made him a sandwich, but I wasn't fast enough.  I should have insisted on driving today, because I knew I would be embarrassed.  Anyway, I headed to the back but all the overflow chairs were full.  I waited with Mike and Jorja by the door while the longest prayer in the history of creation was being said.  As soon as the prayer was over I was out of there.  Mike wanted to look for another spot, but I was not going back in.  Especially since I already went in there once.  Mike and Jorja found a spot in front of Stockton and Preston.  I stayed in the hall.  Mike kept texting me saying there was room for me.  I just wanted to go home.  I didn't though.  I hate being late.  It makes me feel like a failure.  I'm late all the time, so I feel like a failure all the time.  I just couldn't handle it at all today.  Anyway, the lady I recognized but couldn't place ended up being Mrs. VanWagoner, Jorja's 5th grade teacher.  Her hair is a different color and I did not expect to see her.  She came to hear Anthony speak.  He talked about her in his talk.  He was scared when he found out she was his teacher because he heard she was mean.  His mom told him he could do hard things and she ended up being his favorite teacher of all time.  He says he knows his mission will be hard, but he knows it can be amazing as well.

After church Mike and Stockton fixed the ping pong scoreboard. Stockton loves it.  They have played many ping pong games lately.  We also FaceTimed Maysen which was really fun and Mike started working on building a table.  We have had the wood from his house in our garage since his house was torn down.  Mike has wanted to build a table with it, but hasn't had time.  As a result I haven't been able to park in the garage for years.  When we were talking about what we should do/get for our anniversary I mentioned how I would love a new table so I could park in the garage this winter.  Looks like the table is going to be gigantic.

No comments: