Tuesday, June 7, 2016

S-O-A-R

Maysen and I woke up very early and headed down to Logan.  All freshman have to attend an all day SOAR event before they are allowed to register for classes.  This is the first one of the year and we decided to get it done.  We planned our drive just right and were able to check-in before a huge crowd arrived.  Maysen now has her Utah State ID badge. She wants to wear it with a lanyard around her neck.  A lady punched it so she would be able to.  We had her double check to make sure it still worked.  It did.  We had a little extra time before the first session and were able to get her scholarship check from the Sons of the Utah Pioneers to the right place.  It was weird though.  We talked to several different people.  When we finally got to the right place she just took the check.  She stamped the back and said we were good.  I asked her if that was really all we had to do.  Yep.  So there is not another Maysen Smith?  I'm pretty sure there isn't, but how are they going to get it into the right place?  Good thing she doesn't have a common first name.  As we were walking away she called us back and asked for Maysen's A#. That makes more sense.

Maysen and I were split for the first half of the day.  We were able to meet up for lunch.  We snuck down to the gift shop and got her a sweatshirt.  It looks cute on her and she was pretty cold.  We were split again for the rest of the day.  Maysen finished a lot earlier than I did. We had worked on her schedule and the people working with her said there was nothing wrong with it.  They asked her if she would like to change anything.  She didn't.  She will have two psychology classes. One is behavior psychology where she will get to work with rats.  She is excited about that.  She also has a horticulture class and a history of chocolate class.  I was sitting in the front center row of the auditorium when Maysen texted me that she was done.  The presentation just started and I did not want to get up.  I snuck out when it finished before the last one started though.  The presentation I was in was from the health service department.  I learned that it was free to go to the on campus clinic.  It is paid for with her tuition.  I also learned the on campus clinic is across the street from her dorm.  Nice.  Hopefully she'll never need to use it though.  Once I left my meetings I found Maysen, got some free blue aggie ice cream they were handing out and headed back to our car. Maysen's dorm is across the street from where we parked, so we decided to poke around.  They gave us a tour.  It was nice to see inside.  I think it will be just perfect for her.  Once you are inside it doesn't feel as gigantic as the drawings made it feel.  It is just right.  I hope she gets a great roommate!

Maysen and I went straight to Jorja's softball game.  It is her last game of the year.  I was glad we were able to make it for a few innings.  Jorja has really loved this sport.

No comments: