Saturday, June 11, 2016

Preston's Wet Day Camp

The problem with getting so behind in my blog is I miss writing about things I want to remember.  For example, I didn't write about how Maysen took Blake around on rides for a long time.  She laughed because he was insistent on which ride he wanted to ride next, but it made no logical sense.  He would pick one ride, then want to ride another one a long way away, then want to ride one that was right back where they were in the first place.  Maysen thought that was hilarious. The reason I didn't write about Maysen taking Blake around and I wrote about Stockton taking Anne around is obvious.  I had a picture of Stockton and I didn't have one of Maysen.  I really need help with my memory these days.

I was scheduled to go to scout day camp today, but I didn't want to go anymore once my brother Mike came to visit.  I rarely get to see him and I didn't want him to feel he drove all the way up here only to be abandoned.  I called and talked to Ashley while at Lagoon and got permission to skip.  There were going to be three adults (with me) and only 8 boys.  It took a little a little convincing, but I managed to do it.  I told Preston last night.  He sat down and cried.  He said that now he has nothing to look forward to.  I didn't know what to do.  I still didn't know when I woke up this morning.  I kept thinking, 'my brother or my child'.  Mike and his family were still asleep at 7:45 when we left.  I decided to go for a little while and come home early.  I meant to only stay for an hour or so, but Preston was having a hard time.  This camp was not run well.  We were put in a group with 25 other boys (last year we had a group of 10 and a group of 15) and the two leaders were first years.  They kept arguing with each other on how to do things.  I have no idea what possessed the people in charge to put those two boys together.  Things started off okay.  We were assigned the obstacle course first.  Luckily Preston was towards the front of the line so he didn't have to wait too long.  Some people were just starting when others were finished.  This was Preston's favorite station.  He was able to do the course 2 1/2 times.  I have pictures mixed together from his turns.
Preston
Preston & Luke
This swing was his favorite
The tire swing was surprisingly hard to get through.  Brother Breen said that he didn't think any of us could do it.  Of course that meant I had to try.  I scurried through it when there wasn't a line.  The hard thing is you can't push yourself through because the tires move.  I was able to do it, so Brother Breen was wrong.  That is what is important. :)
 Slide down this and don't get slivers!
Ashley is in the picture above.  She is our cub master and does an amazing job.  I am SO glad I don't have her calling!  She has had this calling for years now.  I hope she doesn't get burnt out with it.  I would not want to be the one that has to replace her.
 Luke & Preston
The next activity the boys did was learn to unfold, raise, take down and fold a flag.
Preston, Brady, Lincoln, Eli
There was a weird tug of rope activity.  The ropes were in a cross so there were four teams of boys.  The problem was the leaders didn't have loud voices, so Preston couldn't figure out what to do.  He couldn't find a spot and didn't understand.  He started crying.  I helped him find a spot.  Right when I did, Lincoln pulled the rope and tried to get everyone to go to another side.  He was trying to do what the leaders wanted, but Preston got caught in the rope.  I don't know how to explain it.  Lincoln wasn't at fault, but Preston had a rope burn around his waist.  I took Preston out and had him by me.  He was pretty upset. The kids were out of control and chaos was everywhere.  None of my kids function well in chaos.  Especially my boys.  It gives them a lot of anxiety.  The next activity looked like two wood planks with ropes on them.  It looked like each plank would fit each boy.  I was trying to get Preston calmed down and help him continue with the camp.  I kept crying that he didn't want to miss it.  I pointed out to him what was going to happen next and said, "I think you will need to work with the other boys to go forward'.  One of the two boy leaders said to me, "Can you let the boys figure this out for themselves?"  Holy cow was I mad.  I said, "No, I can't.  Can you see he is having a meltdown?"  The boy then said something like, "The boys need to figure this out for themselves." I snapped at him and said, "He doesn't.  I am going to get him under control.  Don't tell me what is best for him, I am going to calm him down no matter what your agenda is."  I can't remember exactly what I said but I was so annoyed with this boy leader and I was annoyed that Preston was confused and hurt.  I was annoyed with how this day was going.  I was annoyed with the lack of organization.  I was annoyed that Preston and I were here instead of with Mike and his kids.  I was annoyed with the way the first year leader that had no control over the kids and continually argued with his partner was talking to me.  I know he was probably stressed out and I didn't talk to him too kindly, but holy cow he was snotty!  I have no idea what possessed the camp to put two first year leaders together.  There were many other leaders there that looked like they were amazing.  We did not get to experience that. These boys should have been trained, instead it made for a miserable day.  Obviously I did not leave Preston to go hang out with my brother. How could I leave him in that mess?  To make matters worse, it started pouring rain on us.  The kids were freezing.  Here are some pictures of Preston at the slingshot and archery station.  He actually hit the target in archery!  I didn't notice in slingshot.
Preston
When we finally got to our lunch break I talked Preston into going home early with me.  He was miserable, I was miserable, I just wanted to get out of there.  I did not want to eat in the rain.  I did not want to watch a skit before our next stations.  Luckily for me, Preston agreed. Preston was buckling himself in when he realized he had left his pet rock that he painted.  Our car was a long ways away.  I asked him on a scale of one to ten how important it was to him.  He looked at me with his big brown eyes and softly said six.  I couldn't resist.  I started walking back.  Preston came running after me and we walked together in the pouring rain.  He found his pet rock, but he couldn't find his fossil thing he had made.  There were a lot of dixie cups with the boys names on them that had these fossil things in them.  They were on the microwave.  It was pouring buckets, so there was a lot of water around even though it was under a canopy.  When we would pick up a cup to see a name we would get an electric shock.  Preston and I were quite fascinated by this.  We kept trying different things to see what would give us more/less shock.  The shock would just go up our finger.  We would try standing different places to see if what we were standing on made a difference.  Preston showed the other scouts in our pack.  They were fascinated.  We did little science experiments for about fifteen minutes.  This was Preston's favorite part of the camp.  Mine too.

Mike was gone when we arrived home.  Matt and Sam were here.  Mike had taken Skye to visit one of his childhood friends that is suffering with cancer now.  He is in stage 4 and has only been given two years to live.  I think it was two years, it might have been two months.  His name is Matt.  He is married and has three children.  I can't even imagine.  Anyways, Preston was happy to play with Larkin, Blake and Anne.  Bubs and Ange came over to drop off some clothes for their kids. I'm going to watch them next week.  We decided to go swimming. Bubs went home to get swimsuits for himself.  Mike got pizza for everyone.  I had never seen a pizza sandwich before.  I guess that is a thing.
Mike
We swam in the pool until pretty late.  It was a lot of fun.  I don't think the cousins had ever gone night swimming before.  We had quite a crowd.  Mike, Skye, Larkin, Blake, Matt, Sam, Anne, Jeff, Bubs, Ange, Lincoln, Ella, Abby, Millie, Dad, Max, Maysen, Jorja, Preston and myself.  It was Ella's birthday.  She opened her presents here.  Skye went and grabbed a beautiful flower hairpiece she had just made and gave it to Ella.  She picked blue because it was Ella's favorite color. Skye was so sweet, Ella was so thrilled.

Mike and Stockton were at the cabin.  Actually they were driving home while we were swimming.  Mike got an inflatable boat for Father's Day last year.  This year he got a sail to add to the boat.  He tried it out early with Stockton.  Mike loved it.  These are the pictures he sent me.
Mike and Stockton arrived home around 1:30 in the morning.  I was still up talking to my brother Mike.  I was glad they decided to come home tonight instead of leaving at 3:00 in the morning in order to make it to church!  I set up the pull out bed for Stockton so he could just crash there.  Skye, Larkin and Preston were sleeping in his room. He was so tired it didn't matter to him.  Yay!  Everyone is home!

No comments: