Thursday, June 2, 2016

Maysen's High School Graduation

Well, today is the beginning of the end.  My baby has now graduated high school.  I have been dreading this part of my life being over.  I have loved being a mom.  Maysen healed my heart when it was so hurt from losing my own mom.  She made everything better.  Still does.  I don't want her to leave, yet I want her to go after her goals.  I know she wouldn't be able to stand another year of high school.  I don't want to hold her back just because I want her with me.  It's a weird mixture of emotions.  I am so proud of Maysen.  She is definitely unique, and I love it.
Stephanie, Maysen, Mike
Graduation was held at the University of Utah.  We had our ceremony at 10:00 in the morning.  Perfect timing.  There were at least two schools having their graduation after we left.  Glad that wasn't us.  Here we had just arrived and Mike and Maysen are walking to the Huntsman Center.
Mike & Maysen
Mike and I had good seats.  I wasn't ready with the camera when Maysen came in.  I was expecting it to be in alphabetical order.  We usually have a long wait for 'S'.  The class officers came in and then it was Maysen!  What?  First in line!  That's my girl!
Maysen
It was nice and easy to find Maysen during the ceremony.  The teacher with the blue hair below is Mrs. Coleman.  She is Stockton's chemistry teacher this year and Maysen's two years ago.  Stockton really enjoyed her.
This year is the smallest graduating class Alta has ever had.  I think they said it was 380.  When Mike and I graduated from Alta we had a class of 714.  A lot of the kids went to the new high school when it was built.  After Maysen's year the high school wouldn't let kids transfer, so the other grades have more.  This will probably be the smallest class in history.
Mike and I sat right behind the sign language people.  Their translators were great.  Almost made me feel like we were back on the Disney Cruise.
My dad, Matt, Sam and Jeff all came.  That was nice of them. Graduations are not the most fun activity.  Maysen's wasn't bad at all. The talks weren't long.  Dallin Bytheway gave a great talk.  He related everything to Mario Brothers.  They have now reached the flag pole and completed level 1.
Up high is Dad, Matt & Jeff, Sam
 Maysen ready to get her diploma
 First they get their picture with a fake diploma
 Then they stand here while their name
is being read and they are on the jumbotran
Mike videoed Maysen.  Yay!
Maysen with random people who are probably important
 She did it!
 Someone brought beach balls.  That was fun to watch.
 Here comes Maysen!
 I love her!
 And she's done
We met Maysen outside.  She had to turn in her gown in order to get her diploma.  They gave her the diploma cover when she shook everyone's hands.  Now she has the official diploma to go inside.
Maysen
We stopped at home and picked up Stockton before we headed to Leatherby's.  Stockton stayed home and did Drivers Ed all day.  He is almost finished.  It will sure be nice when that class is over!  I called Stockton and asked if he wanted to come.  He said no.  I was surprised. I questioned him about it and he said, "Well, I didn't go to graduation, so I don't think I should go to ice cream."  Maysen overruled him. Stockton was excited to finally order the ice cream he wanted.  He always gets the same thing and is annoyed with himself that he doesn't switch the chocolate chip scoop to something more chocolaty.  This time he remembered!  He changed it to a brownie fudge.  There are two scoops and the other one is already a yummy chocolate one.  When his ice cream came they had switched the yummy chocolate one for the brownie fudge and he still had the chocolate chip.  Oh man!  One day he will try it the way he wants.  We laughed about that for awhile.
Stockton and Maysen
 Smiley guy, Jeff, Maysen, Mike
 Jeff & Maysen
I tried to talk Maysen into going to the graduation party.  She did not want to go.  She spent the rest of the day writing with her graduation cap on, and she loved every second of it.  Stockton went to the graduation party.  I let him go without his phone, and then came to regret it.
Maysen
This is what Maysen's room looks like now.  We got this bed for college, but her dorm has a full size bed.  I know it doesn't quite match this room, but I am still in awe at how beautiful Chelsea made this for us!
What a day!  We sure do love you Maysen!  I hope you always stay true to yourself.  I love it!

No comments: