Sunday, May 8, 2016

Family Mother's Day

Another Mother's Day is in the books.  Despite how much a dread this day it turned out pretty great.  Before church Mike and the kids gave me a few presents.  Preston made a few flowers and one of those what I like about Mom papers.  I love those.
Preston's flowers
This is what Preston's 'My Mom is Special' paper says:
My Mom's name is: Stephanie Smith
She is special because: she is very loving, nice and caring.
I like it when my Mom: makes after-school treats (we should do more of that), and when she does fun stuff with me.
My Mom can do many things!  I think she's best at....: Making me smile, loving me, and forgetting things.
My Mom has a pretty smile!  I like to make her smile by...: complementing her and thanking her.
My Mom is as pretty as a...:pile of roses after a rainy day.
My Mom is smart!  She even knows...: She knows how to make very detailed stockings.
I'd like to tell my Mom...: I love you and I want you to know that you are awesome.

Haha!  Preston cracks me up.  He even used his special stamp he is so proud of.  At the class store he bought a date stamp.  We finally found a stamp pad for him after a few weeks of begging.  He picked a box next to the date and wrote I Love You inside.  It cracked me up when Preston wrote 'making me smile, loving me, and forgetting things.'  I was reading it out loud and I laughed and looked at Preston.  He was laughing.  I always quote a tv show I saw a long time ago (Sports Night).  "Three things.  I'm forgetting things, I'm losing things and one more thing."  I knew Preston was referencing that.  Made me laugh.

Mike and the kids also got me a waffle maker, the new Dominion game and the promo cards that go along with it.  Although I opened the Dominion game straight from the mailing package.  They sent Intrigue instead of Adventures.  Intrigue was our first Dominion game.  Mike was pretty annoyed about that.  They also got me a selfie stick.  Here is Preston and I playing with it.
Preston & Stephanie
Scoop and Cori also sent me flowers.  That was really nice.
Mike, Preston and I played Dominion before church and a little after. Mike ended up winning the game.  It was pretty close though.  I had enough for a Providence, but Mike got it the turn ahead of me and ended up winning by five points.  Church was pretty good.  Isaac Bingham gave a talk.  He talked about five women in the scriptures. Rebekah, Elizabeth, Emma, Hannah and Abigail.  Those are the names of his wife and four daughters.  He did a great job.  My favorite was when he was telling the story of dating his wife.  He wanted to marry Becky, but she wasn't so sure.  She had planned to go on a mission, and planned to study abroad.  Isaac had both families rooting for him.  In April 2000 they were watching conference with their family.  This is what Mary Ellen Smoot said:

Second, don't be paralyzed from fear of making mistakes.  Thrust your hands into the clay of your lives and begin.  I love how Rebekah of old responded to Abraham's servant who came in search of a wife for Isaac.  Her answer was direct, "I will go," she said.

Rebekah could have refused.  she could have told the servant to wait until she had the proper send-off, a new wardrobe, until she lost a few pounds, or until the weather was more promising.  She could have said, "What's wrong with Isaac that he can't find a wife in all of Canaan?"  But she didn't.  she acted, and so should we.

The time from procrastination is over.  Begin!  Don't be afraid.  Do the best you can.  Of course you will make mistakes.  Everyone does. Learn from them and move forward.

Haha!  How crazy would that be.  Isaac said it was the most awkward conference message he has ever listened to.  Talk about timing on that one.

After church (and the end of our Dominion game) I started working on rolls.  Brett and Rachel came over.  Yay!  I was a little distracted with them so I kind of messed up, but it turned out fine.  Matt and Sam came next followed by Bubs and Ange.  I was so fun to have four of us together!  I wish we all lived next door to each other.  I would love that. We played a Dominion game.  We didn't have much time so I said we should have teams.  Spouse teams.  It ended up being Matt, Brett, Bubs and I.  Bubs ended up winning.  Again I took second.  My dad and Cathy came over with the roast right at the end.  After dinner he made tapioca for Brett.  Yummy!  Anne had her non-dairy ice-cream.  She loves that stuff.
Stephanie & Anne
This is what Marie looked like a lot.  That is Harry Potter book 7 she is reading.  Anne wanted to be just like her and had her mom go and get her books out of the car.
Marie & Anne
Mike, Matt, Sam, Brett and Rachel played a game of Pirates.  I ended up taking most of Rachel's turns as both of us were getting our kids down to bed.  It was easier for me to leave them than her since mine were older and sleeping in their same beds.  Marie and Mina are sleeping in the girls' room.  Grace and Eve are sleeping in the guest room with their parents.  Even though I had to keep leaving I did manage to make my mark on the game.  Mike was only $5,000 away from winning when I took him out of the game with a Navy.  The game was going to end with cards running out.  It was my turn with only one card left in the deck for Matt.  Brett said, "Matt is going to win as soon as he sells his cargo."  Brett and Matt were pretty close.  That is when I played Rats on Matt and destroyed his cargo.  Brett laughed so hard! Matt was less amused.  I then gave Matt a fighting chance.  I attacked a level three merchant ship that I didn't have much of a chance of catching.  It would have been great if I could have caught it, but I didn't.  It sailed to Matt.  They were the same speed.  If Matt caught it he could easily defeat it.  This would determine the game.  Matt rolled one dice and Brett the other.  Brett won and the shipped sailed away.  If Matt had an attack card or anything that would give him money he could have won.  Nope.  We all laughed when he played Stormy Seas on Brett.  Brett ended up winning.  Who knew Rats would be such a big player?

What a fun night to be with my family.  Sad that the reason we got to have this night was because Nigel died.  What a strange world.

No comments: