Monday, April 25, 2016

Math

Wow!  What a day!  I did laundry for the beginning of the day.  Then my niece Melissa called and asked if I could watch her two little kids. Melissa has never asked me to watch them before.  Maysen came home with her graduation cap and gown in a box.  She said we needed to take it out right away. Stockton had just texted me to come and get him from school.  He took the state math test at BYU today and the bus got back to school late.  I ran to get Stockton.  Melissa was here when I got back.  I got Nova and Leo settled and had Stockton watch them while I finished the last few things I needed for scouts.  My scouts came.  Leo got fussy the last fifteen minutes, so I held him while I finished scouts. The scouts loved him!  He is a smily baby.  About five minutes after the scouts left, Lisa arrived.  She came to pick up her grand babies.  After a quick dinner Stockton and I spent the rest of the day finishing the diving badges.  This will be the largest dive meet ever held in Utah. Hope everything runs smoothly!  At least Stockton has now officially finished his service hour for National Honor Society.
I couldn't resist taking a picture of Preston.  Isn't he adorable?  Look how much he loves Shiver and Long.  Sorry Luigi.
Preston
Now for some of Stockton's questions on the state math test.  For hilariousness sake.

A factor of 243,000,000 is chosen at random.  What is the probability that the factor is a multiple of 9?

How many different kinds of pieces can you cut from an 8X8 checkered board consisting of four 1X1 squares that are joined end to end?  Note: Two pieces are the same if one of the pieces can be rotated or translated in the plane to obtain the piece.

A very thin disk has an area (on one side) of 4pi.  A square window is cut into a wall.  What is the smallest area (the lower bound) the window can have  and still be large enough for the disk to fit through?

When buying a bike from Math Bikes company, there are three extra options to choose (a bell, a rear finder, and a basket), each of which you can choose to add to the bike or choose not to add it.  If Math Bikes has sold 300 bikes, what is the largest number of bikes that you can guarantee to have exactly the same extras as each other?

One of the following numbers is a square.  Which one is it?
a) 4,751,006,864,295,101
b) 3,669,517,136,205,224
c) 2,512,339,789,576,516
d) 1,898,732,825,398,318
e) 5,901,643,220,186,107

Anyways, none of those questions look like any I would want to figure out!  Glad I wasn't taking that test.

In Mike news, he texted me that Marce Croft died.  Mike works at the temple with him.  Mike doesn't know what happened, but the shift supervisor left him a voicemail.  Mike also did his first presentation at the Openstack summit.  He said it went well.  One down, one to go.

No comments: