Thursday, February 4, 2016

Preston's Conference

I had parent/teacher conference for Preston today.  Preston is doing awesome.  He is scoring really high in English and had a perfect score on his math test.  I had been wondering if I needed to get some multiplication flash cards, but it looks like he has picked it up by himself.  I was thrilled to learn that he has already met all of his Chinese benchmarks.  He scored 185/200 on his speaking test.  This is a test given to native Chinese 2nd grade speakers.  Preston is in 3rd grade, but I still thought this was great.  Ms. Wu was very happy with this.  His listening was 90/100 and his reading was 95/100.  The average on the reading was in the 60s.  Ms. Wu was telling me how amazing this score was and how much it will help him when he is in 5th and 6th grade and they start to learn how to type in Chinese.  I'm so proud of him!  He is mostly on his own with his learning.  I have been so focused on the other kids.  College applications, scholarships, diving. . . . Preston has been left to take care of things for himself, looks like he is doing a great job.

Mrs. Redd mentioned that Preston is very literal.  That made me laugh. All of my children are extremely literal.  Preston is literal and loves to be silly.  Mrs. Redd said she would say something like, "Okay, everyone go sit in your desks."  Preston would laugh and say, "Sit in your desks? Okay, I'll sit in my desk!"  Then he would act like he was trying to crawl in his desks.  Mrs. Redd would then say, "I mean, please sit in your seats."  Preston would say, "Sit in your seats?  Okay, I'll try!"  Mrs. Redd was laughing and rolling her eyes as she was telling me this.  The funny thing is I can hear Preston saying that.  I know exactly how this sounded, I have heard him say things like this so many times!

Stockton did not enjoy diving today at all.  Tyce and Laurel both were not there, which left the old guy.  I can't remember his name, but Stockton does not enjoy his coaching style.  Stockton says he talks to you forever and only points out what you are doing wrong.  Not a fun way to end the week.  I think Laurel will be there for the meet on Saturday.  Tyce isn't allowed to coach at the high school meets since he is a college coach.  I made Stockton let me take a picture of him for the yearbook.  I don't have many good ones this year and I'm supposed to have pictures submitted by Friday.  I wanted to get one with him sitting on the diving board, but Stockton was so anxious to leave that I didn't worry about it.
Stockton

No comments: