Sunday, February 14, 2016

J-O-R-J-A

Mike had a friend in college his freshman year named Jorja.  I met her a few times.  She was an amazing violinist and she ended up marrying Mike's roommate Ty.  When I was pregnant with Stockton, Mike told me if the baby was a girl he wanted to name her Jorja.  I didn't even want to talk about it because I was convinced the baby would be a boy. I didn't know what I thought of the name Jorja either.  About a year before our Jorja was born I fell in love with the name.  I wanted to name her Jorja Ellen.  Ellen is my Grandma's middle name.  I thought about the name Jorja Ellen frequently.  Then we moved to Georgia. That was unexpected.  When we found out I was pregnant Mike asked if we should still name the baby Jorja if she was a girl.  We decided yes. We knew we wouldn't live in Georgia forever.  Then I said Jorja Ellen out loud.  Mike did not like that at all!  He said, "Nope.  Jorja Ann."  I did not like that.  I told him that sounded like Georgeanne.  He told me mine sounded like George-ellen.  Not sure how to spell that.  Anyways, we agreed not to talk about it until we knew if the baby was a boy or a girl.  A few days later we went to the temple.  We used the temple names and the name I was given was Georgia Ann.  I couldn't believe it. I sat next to Mike in the chapel and showed him my slip.  He raised his arms in triumph and said, "I win!"  It was funny.  I like to pretend it was my mom giving me her opinion, although if she were alive I'm sure I would have told her that this was my baby and I'll name her what I want.

That was a lot of background.  We have loved the name Jorja.  It fits our little girl.  When we moved back to Utah I became friends again with Julia.  We went to high school with her.  She told us that Ty and Jorja lived in Utah.  I thought it would be so cool to get the two Jorja's together for a picture.  I am just horrible at doing things like that.  Over the years I have thought about it, but never got around to doing it.  This morning Mike found out that his friend Jorja had died.  I can't believe it.  Julia had told me that Jorja had some rare form of cancer that she had to fly back east a couple of times a year for some special treatment. The way she explained it I did not get the impression that this was a life threatening thing, just a weird thing.  I am so sad that we never got the two Jorja's together.  I'm sad for Ty and his children.  Life can be hard.  Life can be unfair.

Mike and I took our kids to sacrament meeting down in Swan Valley.  I wanted to go to Steve and Sharon's ward.  The roads were horrible on the way down.  Pretty scary.  If we had realized how bad they would be we would have probably tried to go to a ward in Wyoming.  Steve and Sharon weren't there today.  I guess they are in Washington.  We did see Derek and Kendra though.  I was talking to Kendra when Derek came up laughing.  He said, "I just walked past someone and I thought 'he looks a lot like Stockton' and then I see you and realize he WAS Stockton!"

On the way home from church we got a flat tire.  Our front left tire had a blow out!  Mike hit a rock and it did not go well.  We had a spare that we were able to get on.  Once Mike took the destroyed wheel off the car shifted and fell on the jack.  We weren't sure what to do.  I called Heather because for a little while we thought we would need someone to bring us a new jack.  Heather was outside and didn't hear the phone. Mike was able to kick the jack enough to get it out from under the wheel.  That was a bit scary.  When we finally got the spare tire on someone stopped to help us.  We had just finished, so we waved them on.  At least we know if we hadn't been able to get the jack we would have been okay.  We will have to figure out where to get a new tire tomorrow.

Today was a day to play in the snow, play games, eat lots of delicious food and read.  Mike gave me the complete Far Side collection for Valentine's Day.  It matches the Calvin and Hobbes collection he gave me for my birthday.  It is perfect for the cabin.  I gave him heart Peeps. Haha.  I also gave the kids different chocolate heart things.  Sledding was fun today.  I mostly gave rides up the hill on the 4 wheeler, but I got a few runs in myself.  The girls had fun building a snow fort.
Aubrey, Jennifer, Jorja & Katie
 I made Jorja put on her frog hat for this picture
Jennifer, Jorja, Katie
 Aubrey
 Norma
 Norma & Aubrey
I didn't realize I had gotten a good picture of Norma and Aubrey.  I kept taking them over and over, but Norma would always pull faces. Jorja jumped into the mix while I was doing this.
Norma, Aubrey, Jorja
 Jorja never has any fun at all!
 Katie & Jennifer
 Katie
Around dinner time Derek and Kendra came over for awhile.  I couldn't get over how much Paisley looks like Millie!  Maysen didn't think so, but this is exactly what Millie looked like a few years ago.
Paisley
 Heather, Paisley, Kendra
Zac finished editing Jorja's 'The Martian' book for me.  That was awesome!  We were laughing how Jorja's English teacher got mad at Jorja for saying 'Dang it'.  She told Jorja that was an ugly word and Jorja lost points.  Jorja has to read The Martian for the same teacher. That book is filled with horrible language.  Starting with the very first sentence.

Stockton was funny.  The high school has an instagram account for the swim team.  Stockton decided to make an account for the dive team. He is the only member.  This is one of the pictures he took.  The caption says: Hope I got everyone in the shot #teamphoto
We laughed and laughed.  If you want to follow the 'dive team', search instagram for altadiving.  Because 'It's a thing'.

Mike, Maysen, Preston, Heather and Zac all played pirates.  I don't know many details except that I know Maysen won and I thought she would like that documented.  This trip has gone by way too fast.    It's sad that it is over tomorrow.  I like cabin life, it is a lot less stressful than real life!

No comments: