Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Spawn of Satan

Jorja is anxious to play softball.  She is nervous because she is now 13 and can't play with her old coach anymore.  She has been looking into different options.  I was trying to figure out something for her when I ran into a board that posted information about teams who need players or players who need teams.  I read a post that sounded exactly like Jorja.  It said, "My daughter is 13 and has done rec softball for two seasons.  She's extremely passionate for the sport and is looking for a competitive (for amateurs) team to join.  She's a catcher but will play any base.  Please text me at ***-***-**** if you're interested."  I then noticed that the person who posted this was Jorja!  I have no idea what number she used because it is a number I am not familiar with.  She's awesome.

Speaking of awesome.  Maysen.  She is amazing.  I love her.  Maysen was in her vet class today.  Dr. Frampton was giving a lecture on what to write down on paperwork.  Write down facts, not opinions. He wrote, "This dog is the spawn of Satan" on the board as an example of what not to write on the paperwork.  Some people then showed up with a dog for Dr. Frampton to work on.  One girl has told her entire neighborhood to bring their dogs in.  Today is not a clinic day, so they weren't supposed to come.  The girl came in and said it was an emergency and the dog needed to be seen right away.  They think the dog has worms!  Dr. Frampton told her it wasn't an emergency, but he went out in the hall to talk to them.  Soon after he took them back into the clinic area and the entire class had to wait. While he was back there a girl came up to the board and erased 'This dog' and replaced it with 'Frampton'.  The sentence now read 'Frampton is the spawn of Satan. Maysen was mortified.  After a few minutes she couldn't take it and went up and erased Frampton.  Then she turned to the class and said, "I'm erasing this because he's in there right now trying to help these people unexpectedly with their dog.  He's taking his time, interrupting his class to help them.  He's trying to be selfless and we wouldn't want him to come back to this.  Why would you do this?  This is hurtful." Then she sat down.  Wow.  I would never have been brave enough to do that.  Maysen said that the reaction wasn't positive or negative, it just was an awkward silence.  I'm so proud of my girl.

I took Stockton to diving today.  We forgot to bring a towel.  I walked to the BYU bookstore hoping I could find a BYU beach towel.  They didn't have one.  I was able to get a blue bath towel for $7, so that worked. Stockton and I went straight from diving to the advanced academic night at the high school.  They have changed some programs and added some.  More decisions.  They are now partnering with the University of Utah, the only public high school to do that.  Thirty five students will be accepted to the program.  Stockton's grade is the first that this will be offered to.  They can get two years done while they are in high school, but I don't know if that means they need to finish up at the U.  The 35 kids all will take their classes together.  I asked how they would do that with math.  If you have already taken calculus then do you go back and take whatever math is assigned?  Or have to retake calculus?  The principle didn't know the answer, but thought they would have to take whatever math was assigned.  I asked how that would affect the regents scholarship.  Four years of math are required, but the math has to be progressive.  He wasn't sure but he said this plan was better than going the regents way.  I need more information.

Our next stop was the physics classroom.  There we talked to Stockton's robotics teacher.  Stockton has been following the technology pathway. It is now changing to an engineering pathway.  It doesn't seem too different though, so that's good.  We talked to Maysen's physics teacher.  There are three physics choices for Stockton to take next year. Physics with technology, AP Physics or AP Physics with calculus.  I explained that math has always been easy for Stockton and he is now taking calculus as a 10th grader.  This year has been hard.  So far he has still managed to get As, but he has had to work for it.  I asked him what class should Stockton sign up for.  Mr. L told Stockton he should sign up for AP Physics with calculus.  He said the calculus was easy.  He then said a lot of words that I didn't understand, but Stockton knew exactly what he was talking about.  Stockton seemed happy with the information, so that is one worry off my chest!

Mike got a haircut today.  It looks great!  I like his hair a lot better like this then the crazy long haircut he has had lately.  Jorja loves his long flowing locks.  Ha!  Don't encourage him Porge!

No comments: