Sunday, December 13, 2015

Talking Gingerbread

Maysen and Stockton both gave talks in sacrament meeting today. They did so good!  My dad came to watch them.  That was pretty nice since I just told him about it at 10:00 last night.  My dad loved the talks. Stockton talked about gratitude.  He was really funny and talked about the children of Israel not being grateful when food was falling from the sky.  He also talked about losing a ping-pong tournament last year and how he was grateful he could make someone else happy. Maysen talked about hard work.  It was good timing because she is completely stressed right now.  Mostly because of her statistics class. She gave a quote from Chicken Run.  "It takes hard work, perseverance and hard work.  You said hard work twice!  That's because it takes twice as much hard work as perseverance."  They both did fantastic.  They just jotted down notes so they were able to look at the audience for most of their talk.  They also spoke clearly and were easy to understand.  We heard many, many compliments on how great they did.  I 100% agreed with all of them.

We had my family's gingerbread party today.  I was pretty stressed because I was also trying to finish Sam's Christmas stocking.  Mike and I have Matt & Sam's name for Christmas this year.  We had picked them up some nick-nacks from our trip.  We got Sam a Smithsonians baseball (she collects those) and we got Matt a disappearing constitution mug.  When you put hot water in it part of the constitution disappears.  We laughed so hard at that one.  We found it at Mark Twain's house.  Anyways, I had been wondering what to get them when a few weeks ago I decided on Christmas stockings.  I was just finishing Anne's when I had that idea.  The problem was it is so close to Christmas!  Anyways, I found these stockings that weren't as time consuming as some of the others.  I thought they turned out really cute. I finished Sam's stocking about 20 minutes before everyone came over. I was quite stressed, but so glad I got it done!  I forgot to take a picture of Anne's stocking before I gave it to her on her birthday.  I'll need to ask Matt & Sam for a picture.
Matt's stocking
 Sam's stocking
 I like the way these look together
We had fun decorating the gingerbread.  My dad brought pizza and I ate way too much candy!  Maysen spent her time helping Anne decorate her house.  They were pretty cute together.
Anne & Maysen
Bubs and Ange brought a friend.  Right before Thanksgiving they were at McDonalds when someone came and asked them for directions. They talked to her and found out she was from Mississippi.  She came to Utah to find someone to adopt her baby.  She was all alone except for her toddler Ava.  Bubs and Ange invited her to Thanksgiving at their house.  Ange has worked hard to help her feel comfortable in Utah. They invited her to make gingerbread with us.  (I knew about this, they just didn't spring it on me.)  Anyway, Ange's friend Jasmine had a great time.
Ange
 Jasmine
 Ella
 Millie
Jorja invited Katlyn to do gingerbread with us.  A few days ago Katlyn told Jorja she couldn't go because they had a family thing.  Jorja misunderstood and thought Katlyn said she could come because it is a family day.  Thinking back, that doesn't make sense.  I wonder if I'm remembering that wrong.  Anyways, I picked up Jorja from Katlyn's house a few days ago.  I was talking to her mom and said, "Thank you so much for letting Katlyn come to make gingerbread at our house. Jorja's so excited."  I did not realize that they were not planning on sending her.  Katlyn came and missed her cousin's birthday party. Whoops.  Katlyn's family is so nice.  I realized later what happened and apologized to her dad when he picked her up.  He laughed and said he knew she would have more fun here anyways.  Jorja sure is happy when she hangs out with Katlyn, that makes me happy too.
Jorja & Katlyn
 Jorja
 Jorja & Katlyn
 Abbs, Anne & Maysen
The little kids finished decorating their houses a lot sooner than the older kids/grownups.  Anne has been obsessed with the movie Hercules.  She keeps talking about the bad guy.  Maysen took the little kids in my room to watch Hercules.  We had several beanbags in there that Mike is planning on taking up to the cabin.  Mike got a $250 Overstock gift card for working at Overstock for 5 years.  He bought these beanbags with those.
Anne, Maysen, Millie, Abby
 Ange (Ava in the background)
 Matt
 Matt, Jeff, Sam, Anne
Jorja had Jeff's name for Christmas.  She made him a hat, although it looks too small for him already.  She also got him a puzzle that is like one Grandma Parry had.  This is what Preston wanted to give Parker, but we could not find another one.  Preston ended up giving Parker the train puzzle.
Maysen & Jeff
 My dad was very interested in Jeff's present.
Stockton had Anne's name as well.  Crazy how we got Matt's entire family this year.  Stockton knew right away what he wanted to get her. A tumble train!  Anne is pretty scared of it right now because it moves so fast.  She loved watching it chase Maysen around though.
Anne
Maysen had Abby's name.  She found a Hello Kitty dream light.  Abby loves Hello Kitty.  She was very happy with Maysen's choice.
Abby
 Abby & Maysen
 Abby with Jorja and Katlyn being silly behind her.
 Katlyn, Abbs, Jorja
 Katlyn & Jorja
 Katlyn
 Jorja ~ she made a manger scene
 Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus are inside
 I loved her three wisemen.
Cinnamon Santas with candy mustaches and pez as gifts.
 Jorja
For some reason Jorja used her other house when taking final pictures with Katlyn.
Jorja & Katlyn
 Ange, Bubs, Abbs, Millie
Jasmine, Ava, Ella, Lincoln
 Bubs
 Ange
 Lincoln
 Ella
 I loved her house!  Look at her cute door.
 Abigail
 Abby covered her house in Hello Kitty
 Amelia
 Jasmine
 Ava
 Dad & Max
 Dad
 Max
It's hard to tell with the picture below, but Preston make a fence with several gingerbread doors for a small farm in the backyard.
 Preston
Gingerbread done for the year.  I was hoping to make several more to give out as neighbor gifts.  I'm disappointed that I won't be able to do that.  I have been busy working on a present for Stockton and Preston that is taking all of my spare time.  Oh well, maybe next year.  It seems like I say that every year though.

No comments: