Saturday, August 15, 2015

Matanuska Glacier

My poor computer wouldn't upload these pictures.  It got half of them up, but refused to have anything to do with the others.  I finally gave up.  This morning it is cooperating with me better.  Hopefully I can get it all published before it changes it's mind.

I went to a baptism this morning with Nikki and her family.  Maddie's friend, Joselyn, was getting baptized.  Maddie was saying the prayer, Nikki was leading the music and Lynn was one of the witnesses.  It was a really sweet baptism and Joselyn was so excited that Maddie was there.  After the baptism we drove to the Matanuska Glacier that was a couple of hours away.  I'm not sure what I expected, but it definitely wasn't this.  The pictures won't do this justice, but it is the best I can do.  The crazy part of it is all the different textures in such a close proximity.  It is so beautiful and ugly at the same time.  It is constantly moving, so the walk to the glacier is different every time Nikki comes. There are orange cones placed around to guide you to the proper route that day.  Workers are also moving platforms to help you have somewhere to walk.  Maysen said she felt like she should be smelling sulfur.  That was because it reminded us of somewhere Brett and Rachel took us in Japan.  Anyway, the glacier was amazing!  We loved it.

Well, I just realized that these pictures are all out of order, so some with be at the beginning of our adventure and some at the end.  They will probably mostly look the same because it is impossible for me to capture how awesome it actually was.  You need a much better photographer for that.  Anyway, here are random pictures in random order.
 Mud we walked through that didn't really stick to your feet
I thought the swirls were so pretty.
Can't you just imagine an ice dragon living in these crevices?
 Nikki, Maysen and I
I had only brought a light jacket to Alaska.  Crazy, I know.  Nikki gave me her light jacket.  That thing was so warm!  I need to get a jacket like that!
 Maysen
 Maysen & Stephanie
Maysen
 Stephanie & Maysen
 Stephanie and Maysen
Maddie, Katie, Rylie, Lynn, Maysen 
 I loved walking on the crunchy ice crystals
 This was so beautiful!
 Maysen
 Maysen
 Maysen & Stephanie
 Nikki and Stephanie
 Maysen
We went to an old gold rush mining town.  We couldn't walk around because the gates closed at seven and we didn't want to be stuck there all night.  It made me really wish I had found out where my great-great grandfather had his salon, wouldn't it be cool if that was the place?

It was pretty late when we got back to Anchorage.  We ate at a place that had Sourdough in the name.  It was really good.  I had salmon and halibut.  Mike will be proud.  They had these corn fritters that were delicious!  Maddie told me they were her favorite.  I thought they would be just like the ones at Nauvoo.  Nope.  They were bigger and more like scones.  So, imagine a scone with some corn kernels in it, dipped with honey butter.  It was so good!

Nikki and I stayed up until past midnight talking.  It is so fun to be around her again!

No comments: