Friday, August 7, 2015

Grandpa Parry's Viewing

I started driving at 5:15 this morning.  I was a little scared when I saw a sign that said you couldn't go through the road if you were over 8 feet something wide.  I had no idea how wide we were.  I let a semi get in front of me.  I figured if he could make it, so could I.  I wasn't sure where the detour was that I should use.  Anyway, I breathed in and headed through.  It was a tight squeeze, but luckily I didn't hit anything.  I drove for about three and a half hours when I pulled over in Cokeville, Wyoming.  I found out that while I was driving both my dad and Mike had taken showers.  I joked that they should have let me know and I would have given them a ride.  I decided I might as well take a shower too.  It would be an adventure.  I whispered to Stockton and Jorja not to let Dad know.  I didn't want any extra adventure.  They were laughing and asking Mike to give them an extra adventure.  I had just taken off my clothes and was about to step in the shower when I was jostled a bit.  I figured Mike was playing along with Stockton and Jorja.  Nope.  We had a flat tire.  Three hours from our destination. Mike did a great job controlling the motorhome.  I'm so glad I wasn't driving!  Luckily he was able to get to a small shoulder.  There wasn't any before or after.  It was around a blind corner, so that was a bit scary.  We didn't have a spare tire and we had no cell phone service. This was probably the only time during the entire trip that no one had cell service.  Jordyn and I were able to flag down some good Samaritans.  They were on their way to go camping at Bear Lake.  They took Mike to the nearest town, which happened to be Montpelier.  They even helped him find someone local who would be willing to help us for cheaper and faster than what was available through our insurance. That was a blessing.  They couldn't get to us for an hour and a half, so we just played around.  Preston really wanted someone to come to the top of this hill with him.  Too bad that there were tons of fire ants up there and afterwords all three of them had to have burrs picked off of their clothes.
Preston, Jorja, Stockton
 Where we were stuck
 Jorja
 Preston wanted pictures of him coming down the hill
 He's gotten good at posing for the camera
 The car that stopped to help us
 The dead carcasses we ended up by were slightly worrisome
 Yay!
I'm so thankful I was shooting to arrive in Idaho Falls at noon.  Even with the four hour delay, we still made it in plenty of time for the viewing.  The kids were excited to get to Grandpa's house.  Anne and Heather's kids were there.  With their parents of course.  Anne had quite the fan club.
Anne, Jorja, Lily
Preston, Jennifer, Stockton, Eric, Aubrey
I went with Mike early to the viewing.  I remember being here ten months ago with Grandma.  Grandpa waited in this room with her.  I remember Grandpa talking with Brett before the viewing started.
 He looks different.  I bet he is so happy now.
 Stephanie
 Grandchildren bouquet
These next pictures will be the different display items that were there.
My Grandpa received the Bronze Star for rescuing a medic while under heavy fire.  Such a scary story.  He received the purple heart because he was injured during the war.  I'm not sure what the medal in the middle is for.
Bronze Star and Purple Heart
 On the TV is a film Lauren made of my Grandparents.
Justin is acting as my Grandpa and Lisa as my Grandma.
 My grandpa's path during the war, marked by the rainbow
 This would have been so frightening to receive
When my Grandma and Grandpa lived at Morning Star, (I think that is the name)  Grandpa had this basket and kept trying to give Book of Mormons away.  I am thankful for his strong testimony.
 My Grandpa had the oldest CPA license
in the entire state of Idaho for years.
Every time I was at my Grandparents house, this is what they would be working on.  Well, every time in the most recent years.  Grandpa said he was trying to keep Grandma's mind active.
 Grandma & Grandpa
When Mike and I got back to Grandma's house we discovered that Brett & Mike and John & Cassie had arrived.  They came minutes apart. We hurried and got the kids ready to go to the viewing.  By the time we got there the line was so long.  Too bad we didn't make it fifteen minutes earlier.
Maysen & Jorja
 Stockton & Preston
 Stockton, Maysen, Preston, Jorja
 Stephanie, Stockton, Maysen, Preston, Jorja, Mike
 Grandpa & Mallory
 Matt, Anne and Sam
 Matt & Anne
 Stockton
 Stockton, Mallory & Jorja
 Mallory, Jorja, John, Trevor
 John hi-fiving Mallory because she understands where Grandpa is.
 Grace
Grace was playing forever like this.  Only most of the time it was Justin's legs.  She figured it out as soon as I got my camera.  Too bad, it was so funny!
Grace & Brett
 Stockton is so happy to be reunited with Anne
 I couldn't get a great picture, but Grace & Anne loved playing together.
 Grace also loves wearing everybody's shoes.
We had so much fun staying at my grandparents' house.  Weird that this is most likely the last time we will be able to do this.  All of my brothers stayed here except for Bubs and his family.  Heather stayed here too.  Heather said that people kept checking with her to make sure it was okay that we were there too.  She would laugh and tell them that is how she wanted it.  We love Heather's family!  It was so fun to hang out with them!  It was also Jennifer's 7th birthday.  Not the best way for a little girl to spend her birthday, but there were no complaints from her.
Jorja & Aubrey 
 Playing Telestrations
Preston, Eric, Jennifer, Stockton
Aubrey, Grace, Mallory, Jorja, Lily 
Chad and his family came over.  Heather said, "I didn't know you were here."  Mike said, "He has already been here once, this would be his second coming."  Haha!  I laughed so hard!  Chad doesn't seem to appreciate our sacrilegious jokes, but how can we help ourselves?
Heather & Chad
We had a crowd of people talking in the kitchen where the table used to be.  I think it was Mike, Mike, Matt, Brett, Heather, Dad and I. Someone's phone rang and the display said MOM.  Mike held it up and said, "Who has a Mom?"  No one in the room did.  Renee said that was the saddest thing she ever heard, but we thought it was hilarious. Sometimes you just got to laugh.

We stayed up late playing Dominion.  Heather was able to play this time.  She was sick during my Grandma's funeral and said she wanted a do-over.  Mike (my brother) & Jeff won at the last second.  Somehow Mike always wins and he hardly ever plays.  Maybe he secretly practices Dominion in New Mexico so he can dominate us.  He is quite competitive.....it could happen....maybe he isn't a dentist at all.......

No comments: