Saturday, August 8, 2015

Grandpa Parry's Funeral

I woke up pretty early and went inside Grandpa's house.  I turned on a light to find Mike (my brother) sleeping on the couch.  Whoops.  I had a book, so I read for awhile in the piano room.  Later I found a history my grandma had put together that was fascinating.  For example, I had asked my Grandma where the name Larkin came from.  She couldn't remember.  She said she wished she would have asked.  In the family history Grandma had put together years ago it said that Larkin in Harriett Larkin Borrowman came from her father's favorite niece that had died young.  I couldn't believe it!  I had wished I knew where Larkin came from for so long.  I looked up on family search and found that Harriett's dad, William Park Borrowman was the youngest in his family.  The oldest was his sister Jane Duncan Borrowman who was married to Thomas Vickers.  Their second child was a girl who was named Jane Larkin Vickers.  She was almost five years old when she died.  She was born on January 1st and died on my birthday, December 27th.  William Borrowman was 29 years old when she died.  He married Susannah West Wheeler almost 4 years later when he was 33 years old.  His first girl was named Harriett Larkin.  I wonder where Jane Larkin got her name from.  I wonder if she went by Jane or Larkin.  Sweet little girl has many people named after her.  Many amazing people.

Okay, enough rambling.  We headed over to the church around 10:30. There was a viewing and family prayer before the service.  I helped several of my cousins carry the flowers into the chapel.  I snapped a picture of this arrangement.  Look at the cool golf balls!
Maysen and I rode with Mike, Brett and Grace to the cemetery.  It was raining and the sky was gloomy.  Grace was out by the time we got to the cemetery.  Brett left her asleep in the car and kept checking on her. She slept the entire time.  We decided to go look at Uncle George's grave before we left.  Brett checked on Grace before we walked there. Totally asleep.  We walked there and back, it probably took five minutes.  Grace was crying when we got back.  Poor little girl.
Grace
My grandpa was buried with full military honors.  He certainly deserved it.
 Frank, John, Dad, Terry
Mark, Brad, Steve, Glade
 Shots for my Grandpa
My cousin Larkin's daughter Rennie didn't like this at all!
Whoops.  Looks like I accidentally put a picture of Taylor opening his mission call instead of the soldiers folding Grandpa's flag.  I should really label my photos so they don't end up having the same numbers.
Taylor, Melissa, Nova, Aimee
 Taylor is serving in Argentina right now
 Uncle John and Aunt Jackie being presented the flag.
 My dad putting his flower on the casket.
 Glade putting his flower on the casket.
 Mike photobombing
Together again
It rained all during the family prayer and the presentations, but cleared up enough for pictures.
Mike & Maysen
 Preston
 Stephanie & Preston
 Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren
Robert, Rozie, Chad, Katie, Devin, Camille
Savannah (pretending she's short) Jake, Jordyn, Heather
Stephanie, Jeff, Terry, Brooke, David, Lauren
I think Jackson's head, Nathan, Courtney, Justin, Markell
Mike, Matt, Bubs' head, John, Brett, Paul
Sharon wanted to gather individual families for pictures.  Too bad Bubs' kids were having a melt down and others were scattered around. Oh well, we did the best we could.
Cassie & Brandon, John, Lincoln, Stephanie, John, Mike, Preston
Stockton, Brett, Jorja, Anne, Dad, Matt, Bubs, Millie, Sam
 Mallory is in this one
Rozie wanted a picture with the original nine granddaughters.  Tammi had already left, so there is only eight of us.  Grandpa had 28 grandchildren.  19 boys and 9 girls.  We were a bit outnumbered.
Brooke, Jordyn, Markell, Heather
Lauren, Rozie, Courtney, Stephanie
 Courtney & Stephanie
Back at the church we had delicious ham, potatoes, rolls, salad and cake.  The Relief Society had a lot of people to feed!  I sat by Brooke and Cassie, so great to talk with both of them.
Brandon & Grace had a great time together
 Trevor came and joined them
 Trevor
I asked Justin to take a picture of me and my brothers.  He and Sharon left me several selfies.  Awesome.
Justin
 Justin & Sharon
 Mike, Bubs, Matt, Stephanie, Brett, John
Preston has a snaggletooth.  It was loose a couple of months ago, but when his new tooth started coming in it wedged his tooth in there instead of pushing the tooth out.  Strangely this is just what our dentist warned us would happen.  Sometimes when Preston smiles his tooth sticks out of his mouth.  I wasn't sure what to do about it, so as Mike was getting in his car I showed it to him.  Mike asked Preston if he could pull it out.  Preston let him.  This tooth was in there tight, but he got it out.
Mike & Preston
 Starting to get uncomfortable
 Very uncomfortable
 Hurts!
Mike got it out!  He gave Preston $5 for being so brave.  Mike said he has done that a couple of times before and Preston is the only one who didn't cry.  It was pretty stuck in there, I didn't think he could do it.  I should never doubt Mike.
Preston
 Dad & Mike
Mike had to catch a plane in Salt Lake at 8:00.  Wish he could have stayed longer.  It was awesome he could make it.  Christen is in Las Vegas with her family.  Her sister just came home from her mission this week.  They had a baptism today and her sister's mission homecoming is tomorrow.  Mike is flying into Vegas to make it to that.  I'm glad he was able to squeeze this in because I know Christen has been planning that trip to Vegas for a long time now!  Bubs had to leave early too, but my dad and the rest of my brothers gave Mike a good-bye squeeze.
Brett, Dad, Matt, Mike, Stephanie, John
 Trevor wanted to join us
The best part of the day was when the sky cleared up and we had a family softball game.  Grandpa would have loved that!  It was so much fun, even though I haven't played in years and it showed.  I wish Mike and Bubs could have played with us.  Brett was up first and hit a home run.
Brett
 Brett & Savannah
 Jordyn & Savannah
 Matt wearing Grandpa's hat
 Brooke
Savannah, Justin, Devin, Maysen sitting down
I was proud of Stockton.  He played the entire time, even though he doesn't really play softball at all.  It would be intimidating to play with my brothers and cousins who are so good!
Stockton
 John, Paul, Stockton
 Fun! Fun! Fun!
 Mallory loves to dress like Dorothy
I left a few minutes early with my kids and headed back to Grandma's house.  We needed to leave soon and Jackie said it would be okay if my kids each took something to remember Grandma & Grandpa.  We asked about everything, just in case.  Maysen found the dancing Santa. Stockton wanted the golf hole he would play with when he came.  Jorja picked out a little cardinal figurine and Preston wanted a gigantic gingerbread cookie jar.  When I asked if Preston could have it Jackie laughed and said, "Please!"  As we were driving away, Maysen regretted not getting the cardinal pillow.  I called Matt and asked if he could bring it to her.  I gathered a few things.  Suitcases, ours are ruined. Casserole dishes and the Santas I made Grandma years ago.  Brooke and I were discussing who should take Grandma's china.  We both would love it, but both agreed that it would work better for Brooke to have it.  If I knew I had a place to store it and could keep it safe I would have loved it.  I did take the Work and the Glory series that Grandma had.  I am missing a couple of books.  I just ordered Book 1 right before our trip.

I wanted to get a picture of my family on this bench.  So many memories of my Grandma sitting here!  We were anxious to leave, so I just grabbed my kids as they walked by.  We are taking Brett & Grace to the airport and don't want them to miss their flight!
Maysen
 Jorja & Maysen
 Preston
 Stephanie & Preston
 Stockton
 Mike & Stockton
My dad went home with Cathy and we took Brett, Grace and Max with us.  This isn't a great picture, but it was so cute to see Grace sitting there with the big kids.
Max, Preston, Grace, Jorja
 Jorja and Grace watching Blue's Clues in the bottom bunk
 Max, Grace, Preston
We got to the airport at exactly the right time.  I sure wish we could have had Brett stay longer.  Amazing that he was able to come at all with a brand new baby at home.  Luckily Rachel's mom is with them right now.  I know Brett is anxious to get back to her.  Grace slept for most of the way home.  Hopefully she'll sleep on the plane too!  Taking a red eye with a toddler could be interesting.
Brett & Grace, Mike
 Brett & Grace
We dropped Max off at my dad's and then got home a few minutes before midnight.  I'm excited to be home and excited to sleep in my own bed!  This is the Instagram post Mike shared with the caption: "3 weeks, 26 states, 7,100+ miles.  Wonderful trip - glad to be home!"

No comments: