Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Coin

We had Back-to-School night for Maysen and Stockton.  I took Maysen's schedule and Mike took Stockton's.  I was able to go to Stockton's morning classes because Maysen is at the vet program then.  Mike was able to go to Maysen's AP Government class with me because Stockton is in seminary then and the seminary didn't have a rotation this year.  Anyway, I walked in first to Maysen's Government class.  Mr. Ochoa recognized me from the parent/teacher conferences last year.  Mike walked in about thirty seconds after me.  Mr. Ochoa was blown away.  I grabbed Mike's arm and said, "So, this is Maysen's dad."  Mr. Ochoa remembered Mike from high school.  He said, "I had your daughter all last year and this is the first I've seen you?"  Mike worked with Mr. Ochoa in student government and academic decathlon.  They won state in academic decathlon and were able to go to nationals.  The year before nationals was in Boston, the year after was some place cool like Hawaii.  Mike was lucky enough to get to experience Boise, Idaho!  He has always felt jipped off about that.

At the end of the night, I wanted to talk to the Vice Principal over Stockton about diving.  He is also over athletics.  Only problem was, they couldn't find him.  The principal was there and he talked to us.  He was supper nice and will be completely supportive of Stockton.  The only problem now is that because the state stopped diving as a sanctioned sport, a lot of the schools dropped it completely.  Hopefully there will be enough to even form a club.  Annoying.  Anyways, when we were talking to the principal Mike said, "I have a selfish question....."  Years ago, when we graduated.  Mike received the principal award.  This is given to one senior boy and one senior girl.  Our year the coin was given to Mike and Sheena Leatham.  Mike only had the coin for a few months before he lost it.  He's pretty sure one of his friends took it out of his jeep.  This coin is supposed to get Mike into any athletic event at the high school for life.  Now that we are back, it would be kind of nice to have the coin.  Mike said, "I can bring down the plaque that came with it."  They were nice and got Mike a coin out of their safe.  I am looking forward to Mike using the coin.  I wonder if the ticket takers will have any idea what it is.

No comments: