Wednesday, March 18, 2015

UHSAA Board Meeting

Mike and I had a busy day yesterday.  We went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple in the morning.  We had lunch at Village Inn and then Mike went to the temple again with the youth to do baptisms. He's racking up the blessings!  Yesterday Stockton also took the physical part of the pe test.  He got full points on sit-ups (he had to do 48), pull-ups (he had to do 9), flexibility (he had to reach 30 cm ~ actually he was able to reach 10 cm past that!).  The only thing he didn't pass was the running.  To get full points he has to run the mile and a half in 10:45.  The slowest he can go to get any points is 11:48. Stockton ran it in 12:15 or something like that.  It is frustrating because to get full points on the run if you are a girl is 14 minutes.  You can still get points if you run it in 15 minutes.  That seems like a huge difference!  Anyway, he will get to try again next week.  At least he only has to do the run.

I went to the UHSAA board meeting today.  They were planning on talking about getting rid of diving as a sanctioned sport.  Actually they already decided to get rid of it until someone told them they should let the divers and their coaches have a bit of a say.  The diving was scheduled to come on the agenda at 10:30.  The meeting started at 9:00.  I showed up at 9:00.  I wanted to make sure I was there in case they decided to talk about diving earlier.  Stockton's coach was there when I arrived.  Mike Tuckfield was given 20 minutes to present the case for keeping diving.  I thought he did a great job.  My hopes were dashed at the end.  It was obvious that the board had no intention of keeping diving.  Mike asked if anyone had any questions.  He was told he had 3 minutes left.  The Jordan High principal raised his hand.  He took almost the entire 3 minutes to ask his question!  Basically he said, "Why should we sanction you anyway, we don't even buy you a trophy." Wow.  Because the diving coaches pitch in and buy the state champion their own trophy the board doesn't think they need to sanction this sport.  I was so annoyed.  Especially since Mike had pointed to the Jordan High principal earlier and talked about how they had good communication with each other in the past.  When he asked that ridiculous question it was like signaling to everyone else that he doesn't think divers are worth anything.  One of the things Mike talked about was how diving helps fill a niche for the student that doesn't necessarily have the build to be a football player or a basketball player.  One guy leaned over and whispered, "That's what soccer is for."  Annoying.  I was pretty upset when I got home.  I knew they just didn't care about taking this way from my son.  I knelt down and said a prayer asking Heavenly Father to soften their hearts.  I felt such peace as I said that prayer.  I felt that Heavenly Father was telling me everything would be okay.  I don't know if they will keep diving or if things will still be okay if they get rid of diving.  I'm not sure, but I really hope they keep it.

I will finish this entry with two Time with Dad pictures.  Preston had his time with dad yesterday.  Mike and Preston worked on making a conveyer belt to go with a robot game they have.
Preston
Jorja wanted Mike to play softball with her.  She is nervous/excited about playing softball this spring.  I hope she loves it!
Jorja

No comments: