Thursday, March 19, 2015

No More Diving

This morning I helped teach preschool at the homeless shelter.  Becky does this every week, but her partner was out of town.  Katie and I went and helped her today.  This was Becky's first time at the shelter in Salt Lake.  Usually it is in Murray, but they are tearing down the Murray location and building a better one.  That meant for a lot of families crammed into the Salt Lake location.  The preschool was fun, but exhausting.  I can't believe Becky does that every week!  She also brought breakfast.  She had made muffins and had carrots, oranges and go-gurts.  Becky took me to lunch when we had finished.  She is amazing.

We got word today that the UHSAA unanimously voted to not sanction diving as a high school sport anymore.  We are so disappointed.  I'm glad that Heavenly Father answered my prayer yesterday.  I know things are going to work out.  I don't know how, but I'm so glad I got that reassurance or I would be furious and heartbroken right now.  I was talking to Mike and asked him if diving went to a club sport, would the boys be able to letter?  He doesn't think so.  He told Josh and Stockton that they might be the last ones to ever letter in diving in the state of Utah.  I also asked him if diving becomes a club sport, would the boys be able to compete on the 3-meter?  Right now high school diving is just on the 1-meter.  Mike said he had never thought of that.  I think that would be the best thing to come out of this situation. Stockton loves the 3-meter.  I'm pretty sure they would need to compete on the 3-meter in college.  I know the other dive competitions that Stockton goes to compete on the 3-meter.  This might become a good thing.  Still, the board at the UHSAA is lame.  Diving was fun for the boys today.  Mike just played games with them so they could let of steam.  They played 'tuck, pike, dive' which is where Mike yells one of those after they jump and they need to do it.  Soon they had to do double, then triple.  He even added a twist.  They also played a game where they would all do a dive and whoever scored the highest would get to pick the next dive.  It was nice to watch the boys have so much fun after todays disappointment.

No comments: