Friday, April 18, 2014

PEZ Museum

I took a lot of pictures at Peggy's house, but I am going to save them for another day.  I have enough pictures for today!  We were busy!  Jorja started off the day looking for lizards.  Those lizards are fast!  Jorja and Preston really wanted to take one home.
Jorja
After Mike made a yummy breakfast of crepes, we headed to the Pez Museum.  How could we pass that up?  I was excited that we were able to fit it in.  Gotta love the license plate of the car parked right outside.
The museum was just what we were expecting.  It is a really small store with the museum in the back room.  Really, really small - but we loved it!  It was a quirky little place.
Preston and Stephanie
This was the original Pez poster.  Pez originated in Austria. Peppermint is spelled PfeffErminZ in German.  Obviously the letters in the middle of the word aren't capitalized, but that is how Pez got it's name. 
Here we are in the back room getting the pez tour.
Maysen, Stephanie, tour guide, Stockton, Ron
 Original dispensers 
 Pez vending machine?  I love it!
 Mini pez ~ only sold in vending machines in Japan.
Brett & Rachel, keep your eye out for these!
 Creepy pez.  Kind of like Mr. Potato Head.
Don't laugh, it is worth $3,000 now!
 Random pez
 I like the baseball glove one.
 This was my favorite store pez.  I didn't get it.
The museum also had old toys and banned toys.  Here is the original Mr. Potato Head.  You needed to supply your own potato.  Below that is the same thing, but with a cucumber.  I never heard of that before!
The banned toy section was the best.  My favorite was the Atomic Energy Lab.  Oh my gosh!  What were they thinking.  It came with four small bottles of radio active material.  This was only sold for one year in the 50s.  We laughed at the Exciting! Fun! advertised on the box.  Wow.
We let everyone pick out a normal price pez.  Mike and I got a Meet the Robinsons set.  Maysen got Jack-Jack from The Incredibles, Stockton got Nermal from Garfield, Jorja got a cute polar bear and Preston got an adorable puppy.  Maybe when we get home I'll get my pez collection out.  I thought we threw them away, but Mike said he boxed them up. The kids loved playing with my pez when they were little.  Jorja played with my Yoshi until it fell apart.  I was hoping to get a new Yoshi. Apparently my Mario set was never sold in the US.  They had it there, but it was pricy!  We must have picked up ours in Canada when we lived in Washington.  Either that or the Internet.
Stephanie
 Maysen and Preston
 Stockton
I didn't get a picture of Jorja or Mike (or Dad or Peggy) in front of the giant pez.  Boo!  Our next stop was the Tec Museum.  The kids loved watching this contraption outside.
This place was fun, but it seemed like tons of things were broken.  We still had a good time though.  My favorite was the bike we could ride to power different things.  The point was to show how much energy was expended using traditional sources of power verses the new LED power.  Or whatever the new power is.  The new power with the creepy twisty lightbulbs.  Anyway, you didn't have to peddle very long to get a stop light to turn green, but it would take longer to light up with the old energy source.  The same with turning on a fan.  The absolute best was the light bulb.  It should have take little energy to turn on the light bulb, but it was BURNT OUT!  Haha!  Just like in real life.  I know they are supposed to last 10 times longer than regular light bulbs, but ours never do.  So frustrating! Plus, they look ridiculous.

There were a couple of displays showing how Furbys work.  Grandma Honey would have loved that! Well, maybe she wouldn't have cared, but Furbys always remind me of Grandma Honey.
Preston was so cute building block towers on a tilting table.  He didn't even get mad at me when his tower toppled as he was posing for a picture.
Preston and his falling tower
We all rode the jet pack simulator.  My dad was first.  Peggy waited in line for us to build the robot.  We were called in while my dad was riding it.
Ron
 Preston, Maysen, Ron, Stockton
Jorja and Mike's head building a robot
 Preston, Maysen, Stockton, Ron
 Preston and Maysen
 My dad watching Jorja, Preston, Maysen, Stockton & Mike
 Preston
 Done!  Jorja, Maysen, Preston, Stockton
 Front view of the robot.  You can tell because of the mustache.
Jorja, Maysen, Stockton, Preston
 Now onto the jet packs!  Jorja
 Preston & Mike
 Mike
 Maysen
 Stockton
 Stephanie
 I think Mike liked the name tag on this one.
 The kids hiding in a tsunami ball.
I wonder how many people have this handy?
 Preston loved playing with these circles.
 Stockton loved making silly faces
 So did Mike
 Maysen & Jorja having a wheelchair race
 Preston & Peggy playing with shadows
We spent the rest of the day playing at Peggy's house.  So much to do there!  Amy made such a delicious dinner.  I wish I could cook like her!
Jorja and Dakota
 Shasta
My dad and I watched a movie with Peggy in their fancy movie room. It was called Secondhand Lions.  I think my kids will like it.  I will have to watch it with them sometime.  Mike watched Star Wars with Jorja in the motorhome, but she fell asleep.  The other kids watched Looney Tunes.  We leave tomorrow.  It has been a fun trip!

No comments: