Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I Love You, Stinky Face

I received an e-mail from Stockton's teacher today.  This is what it said. "Mr. and Mrs. Smith,  I wanted to write a quick email about Stockton. Today during class, we were talking about our favorite children's books (today is national children's book day).  A student was talking about their favorite book and could not remember the name.  Stockton yelled out, "the name is I love you stinky pants!"  Stockton is a great (and very bright) student.  I really enjoy having him in class.  I would not be emailing if this was the first time this has happened.  I have spoken with him about this behavior before.  In enlisting your help at home, I know the issue can be resolved.  If you could address it, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you."  Oh boy.  First, I was positive Stockton didn't say, "I love you stinky pants"  I was sure he said, "I love you stinky face".  My guess was the teacher had no idea that Stockton was giving the name of the book.  I was glad the teacher sent me the e-mail, but extremely annoyed that she did as well.  I am sure she thought Stockton was calling the girl a name.  It frustrates me that she doesn't know Stockton well enough to know he would not do that.

Anyway, this is the e-mail I wrote back.  "Thank you for your e-mail.  I think Stockton's behavior was a misunderstanding.  I have talked to him about it and asked what happened.  He said that a girl was trying to remember her favorite book.  She described the book and said she didn't know the title.  Stockton told her the title.  The title of the book she was describing is, "I Love You, Stinky Face".  I have attached a picture of the book along with this e-mail.  This was one of Stockton's favorite books when he was little.  A boy is asking his mom if she would still love him if he was a monster or an alien or other random things.  One time he says, "But, Mama, but Mama, what if I were a super smelly skunk, and I smelled so bad that my name was Stinky Face?"  The mom says, "Then I'd plunk you in a bubble bath!  But if you still smelled stinky, I wouldn't mind.  I'd whisper in your ear, 'I love you, Stinky Face.'"  It is a really sweet book despite the silly title. I noticed that Stockton has an F on something titled 'Executive Functioning Skills'.  Could you let me know what has happened?  I'm assuming this is a citizenship grade.  Is this because of what happened today?  I'm not sure if you were upset with Stockton because he answered the girl without raising his hand or because you thought he was calling her a name.  If I have misunderstood and there is a different issue, could you let me know?  Thank you."
I asked Stockton what his teacher has talked to him about.  Nothing. She has never talked to Stockton about an issue before.  He did say that his teacher was explaining the activity they were doing in class and she didn't want the kids to talk.  She told them they had 200 participation points and they would lose 20 points any time they talked.  She told them to do the math and asked them how many times they would have to talk before they would have zero points.  Stockton answered, "Ten". She said, "Thank you Stockton, you just lost 20 participation points." Ironically Stockton lost participation points for participating. Whatever.....

In other news, our house is coming along!  I love it.  Wires hanging down and everything.  Love, love, love it.  Our kitchen would be gigantic if we wanted it to be.  I am so excited to have a larger hallway. Such a little thing, but that tight squeeze sure got annoying.
Rob got the laundry room framed.  I am so excited to have a laundry room!  The laundry hall we have now is not very user friendly.  Looking forward to this!  It is fun to turn the lights on and off with the hanging wires.  Not fun enough to keep it that way though!
I played Dominion with Maysen and Preston before bed.  I won, which made it awesome.  The card set up was not my favorite.  Torturer, Sea Hag and Young Witch.  Torturer was the most annoying.  Maysen was able to acquire it right away.  Made for a LONG game!

No comments: