Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Value Plates

We met with the cabinet people who are helping us design our kitchen. It has been frustrating because they keep showing us designs they want us to do without listening to what we want.  Mike and I had to laugh because on the bottom of the design they worked up today it said, "FINAL DESIGN".  We thought it was funny because all the other designs they hadn't done what we asked them to do.  Of course we didn't like it.  It wasn't what we wanted.  The first time they wanted us to have the kitchen in the dining room area, even though I told them I didn't want to do that.  I told them I was open to anything, but I would prefer not to switch the dining area.  When they showed us the plans, their idea is the only thing they worked up.  The next time when they showed us the plans, they got rid of Mike's grill.  He loves that thing! They had tried to talk us into getting rid of it, because it is ugly.  We told them how much we use it and that we weren't willing to get rid of it.  Obviously we didn't like their next plan when they got rid of the grill.  Mike and I finally decided what we wanted.  It is hard because our kitchen is such an odd shape.  The design people really wanted us to get rid of the counter where the grill is  now.  To make it more open. The thing we need is cabinet space and seating.  I don't want to get rid of that area just so we can have air.  I know it would look awesome, but I think we need the other things more.  We don't have any storage in this house, so I'm hoping we can fit a ton of stuff in the new kitchen. Anyway, we are now on the list to get our cabinets made.  That won't happen for another 14 weeks.  I'm really anxious to get things started. The picture below isn't an actual plan, but it gives you an idea of the placement of things.
Our Young Women activity was awesome today.  I found this idea on Pinterest.  I usually can't figure out how to make anything on Pinterest, so I was excited that this turned out.  I bought some plates at the dollar store.  I had my friend write each of the Young Women values with a sharpie on them.  Then I baked the plates for 30 minutes at 425.  The plates came out looking purple, so I was worried I messed it up.  They looked much better when they had cooled down.  The beehives were each asked to bring one dozen cookies.  We divided the cookies up so the plates were overflowing with yumminess.  The girls then picked someone in our ward who fit that value.  They wrote cards that said, "Thank you for being an example of our Young Women value faith (or whatever value was chosen)."  It was so cute to listen to the girls pick who the plates should go to.  They ended up picking Laura Longhurst for faith, Bishop Lundgren and his wife for divine nature, Deb Brockbank for individual worth, Gordon Kimball for knowledge, Bob and Leslie Perry for choice and accountability, Vicky Waddoups for good works, Sandy Hawkins for integrity, Steve and Elaine Gray for virtue.  This activity turned out great!

No comments: