Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Frankenstein

It snowed today!  Well, just a little bit.  Rob came over in the morning but didn't stay too long.  I volunteered in Preston's class and then helped in Jorja's.  I love how the kids in Jorja's class love to see me.  I walked in and immediately over ten hands shot up.  Even Jorja's.  I looked at her and said, "Really Jorja?"  She nodded yes.  The kids were having trouble figuring out how to find the surface area and volume of irregular shapes.  I have always thought that was kind of fun.  Anyway, I worked with several kids for quite awhile.  I didn't get to work with Jorja.  She was pretty disappointed about that.  She understands it, I think she just wants to be able to go out in the hall and work with me once.

Stockton came home and told me that the boy who won the spelling bee at his school won the regional bee and is now heading to Washington DC.  That's so cool!  He said that he was studying the word Frankenstein on the way to the bee because he kept messing up on it. That ended up being his winning word.  Holy cow!  Frankenstein was his winning word?  That was a word from the list.  Stockton knew every word on the list.  (The regional list.  They have used the same list for years!  It is a really big list and really hard.)  Anyway, Stockton knew all the words on the list a few years ago. They had to go off the list when he was in 6th grade.  There were at least ten people left.  Stockton finished 4th.  Man, if Stockton had been able to make it to regionals he would have had a really good chance of making it to DC.  I hope Michael Jones does awesome!  It would be so fun to see him.  We loved watching Vismaya last year!  She ended up taking 5th overall.  Wow.

Mike wanted to know who ended up sponsoring the bee.  He looked it up on the computer.  In January they had an article about the kids in this area not being able to compete in the bee.  Then a few weeks later another article that said two companies stepped up to sponsor the bee. One was a law firm, the other was Overstock.  What?  Mike had looked into Overstock sponsoring the bee back in October.  The deadline for the schools to sign up was one week away and he wasn't able to pull it off.  He never heard anything back and we assumed it wasn't going to happen.  That is so cool that they did this.  Mike loves that company!

No comments: