Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Math

I have been helping some of the kids that have been struggling with math in Jorja's class.  I reteach them the concepts.  Yesterday I was working with about five kids, one of them was Jorja's friend Ashley. She was having such a hard time with adding/subtracting fractions if they had a different denominator.  She couldn't comprehend why the denominators had to be the same.  I drew her pictures and pictures and tried to explain it in as many ways as possible.  I was really annoyed with one of the boys I work with all the time because he kept saying things like, "Come on Ashley, everyone understands this but you."  I'm thinking, "Really, you of all people are talking to her like this?  You don't understand anything ever!"  I didn't say that, obviously, but I just told him to stop and that everyone finds different things hard to understand.  Anyway, I called Ashley's mom last night and talked to her about what she was struggling with.  I knew they were going to have a test today.  I came back to Jorja's class today to see if anyone wanted some last minute help before the test.  It was so cute to see some of the kids when I walked in.  One boy yelled, "Yes!  Jorja's mom is here!  Can you help me?"  I'm glad they appreciate me.  That made me really happy.  Anyway, I was there for quite a long time working with the kids.  Ashley, Jazzie and Ian worked with me through lunch.  Jorja and Dallin were there during lunch too, just for fun.  Anyway, I got a text from Ashley's mom tonight.      It said, "Thank you so much for that test yesterday.  Thanks to your help yesterday, the test last night and studying today, she got a 95 on the test.  Thank you so much."  Yay!!!  I was so proud of her!  It was so cute to see her face when she finally understood it!  Later I got another text from Ashley's mom that said, "She just told me you stayed all day today to help.  Thank you soo sooo much!"  I didn't get much done today, but it looks like what I did get done was worth it.

No comments: