Sunday, January 5, 2014

Last Fast Offerings

We have 1:00 church this year.  My least favorite.  I did spend all morning preparing for my presidency meeting, the one with the YW presidency, advisors, and the youth presidency.  I walked over there are 11:20 thinking I would be a bit early.  There were tons of cars already there.  Turns out the meeting started at 11:00.  They had already broken out in groups and all the Beehives had gone home. Embarrassing.  Especially since I was ready at 11 and just waiting.  I did figure out what happened.  Earlier we had planned the meeting for 11:30-12:15.  I wrote it on my calendar.  When Becky sent the reminder, she sent it for 11:00-11:45.  I passed on the information, but never checked it with my calendar.  This morning I kept checking my calendar for the time, but never looked at my phone.  Too bad because I had a lot of things that needed to be done.  The Beehives are in charge of New Beginnings this year and I am NOT good at planning parties! Stresses me out.

I taught Stockton how to make rolls this morning.  He also went to pass out his last fast offerings.  He had our street, so I made Mike take a picture.  His hands were ICE COLD!  So were Ian's, but at least Ian was wearing a coat!
Stockton & Ian
Jorja, Preston and I went over to Audrey's house around 10:30.  It dawned on us that she might not know that church had changed to 1:00.  Her dad answered the door and said she was almost ready.  We told him that church started later, but she could come over whenever she liked.  So, she came over and played with Jorja and Preston before church.  At least the kids were ready, so it worked out great.  Audrey brought some paper doll things to do during church.  She cut out Anna from Frozen.  She also was playing with glitter.  Oh man!  She had glitter all over her hands.  We left sacrament meeting in the middle to clean her up.  I put her stuff in my bag and the glitter accidentally spilled, so the bottom of my bag is covered in glitter.  I guess I'll be sparkly for awhile.  Pretty funny.

My kids all got new teachers.  I was happy with all of them.  They announced the new Sunday School teachers at the end of sacrament meeting.  The shock of the day came when they announced Maysen's teacher.  She has BROTHER KIMBALL!  No way!  Brother Kimball is probably the best teacher in our entire ward.  Before we moved here, he was the gospel doctrine teacher.  When he was released, I heard the entire congregation gasped.  Anyway, this will be Maysen's 4th year with Brother Kimball. Holy cow!  When we moved into this ward Maysen was accidentally put in the wrong class.  They figured it out three months into the year.  They asked Maysen if she wanted to be moved to her correct class or wait until the end of the year to make that correction.  She really liked Brother Kimball, so she said she wanted to stay.  The next year, Maysen remained in the class and was able to have him again.  The next year they moved Brother Kimball up with the kids and had him teach the 15 & 16 year olds.  He is teaching the 15 & 16 year olds again.  The crazy thing is he got remarried around Thanksgiving.  His wife died a few years ago.  I talked to him the Sunday before he got married.  He had moved in with his wife who is in another ward.  He told me he was planning on finishing out the year and then would probably go to the new ward.  I thanked him for everything he had done for Maysen.  I told him he had been the most stable thing in her life outside of her family.  She has had him as a teacher almost the entire time we have lived in Utah.  I talked to him a little bit about Maysen's struggles right now and told him how grateful we were to have him in her life.  I just really wanted him to know how much of an impact he has made on her.  He said, "That changes everything."  I just laughed and joked, "No it doesn't.  I just wanted you to know how much you are appreciated."  I was so shocked when they announced Brother Kimball as her teacher again.  I couldn't believe it! Maysen got the biggest grin on her face while Stockton whispered, "NO FAIR!"  Needless to say, we are extremely happy with Maysen's not new Sunday School teacher.

The other kids all have fabulous teachers as well.  Stockton has Judy Bennett, Jorja has Vicky Waddoups and Preston has Sister Marilyn Rich.  Sister Rich was recently released as the Assistant to the Temple Matron of the Draper Temple.  All of the teachers are at least ten years older than me, most are probably twenty.  It is going to be a great year!

We had my family over for dinner today.  Abby is a Sunbeam now.  She was so excited about it.  It was so cute to see her face as she talked about it.  Loved it!  My dad brought over ham and potatoes.  We had rolls and drinks.  Pretty simple, but I got stuffed.  Matt and I played two games of Dominion. We both won one game.  Matt, Mike and Maysen watched Buster Keaton for awhile at the end of the night. That's about it.  School starts tomorrow.

No comments: