Friday, December 27, 2013

The First Day in my Forties

IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!  I’m 40 years old!  Wow.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (That was written by Preston.)  We had an early breakfast where we got to see Aida and Adi one last time.  Sure wish we could take Aida home with us.  We got off the ship in the Daisy Duck group.  Found our luggage, found a taxi and headed to Fort Lauderdale.  When we started booking this trip I wasn’t excited about the idea of travelling home on my birthday, so we decided to stay one more day.  I wish I would have flown home instead.  I probably wouldn’t have made it to my cousin Jason’s wedding, but it would have been nice to be there.  I would have loved to see most of my family on my birthday!  That would have been fun.  Plus, I could have made Mike do everything.  Can you take Preston to the bathroom?  It’s my birthday.  Can you carry my bags?  It’s my birthday.  That could be fun.  Well, Mike helps a ton anyway, so it probably wouldn’t be much different.
Jorja left a towel creation, a note and chocolates for Ronaldo
 Now that I'm actually 40, Stockton tried to get another picture of me.
 Why am I laughing so hard?
Because Stockton looks ridiculous!
Stockton thought if he put the towel over his head
the glare on the number 40 would be reduced.  Haha!
 Preston and Shiver photobombing Stephanie's picture
It was hard to find a hotel in Fort Lauderdale at this time of year.  I wanted all of us to be together, and we were only staying for one night.  Most of the places were requiring at least a three night stay.  We got to our hotel around 11, but check-in time wasn’t until 3.  I was hoping we could still get in, but the previous guests hadn’t left yet.  There was a room in the back where the hotel let us put our luggage.  We were right on the beach.  I had put all our swimsuits in one bag, planning to wait on the beach.  It was a little overcast and none of the kids wanted to do that.  So, we did plan B.  We walked to a mall.  It was about 2 miles away.  The kids did great.  No complaining.  It was kind of fun.  We got pizza, Jamba Juice and Subway.  We then went to a movie theater and saw a dinosaur movie.  I slept through most of it.

Maysen, Preston, Stockton

 Maysen, Stockton, Preston, Jorja
We got back to the hotel around 4.  We were in room 1105.  It took us a bit to find it.  We couldn’t find the 11th floor.  We got off on the 10th and looked around.  Finally we got back in the elevator and hit the PH button.  Preston said PH stood for ‘pretty high’.  That was it.  Apparently I booked the pent house.  It was huge!  The kids were quite impressed.

Jorja, Preston, Maysen, Stockton

I have never been on a balcony so big!  It wrapped around the room and if you stood just right you could see the ocean.  The city lights were so beautiful at night.  I was really worried about this hotel.  I booked it on a random website.  Booking.com I think.  It sounded perfect.  Then I started looking into reviews from different sights.  They were not good! Made me even more worried.  The room worked out great for us, but I can see why there were many bad reviews.  The room was beautiful, but the upkeep is terrible.  There are cracks everywhere you look.  The place is falling apart.  At least we aren't picky.  The worst was the elevator though.  It was scary!  It made horrible sounds whenever you got in it.  The scariest one didn't even have an elevator inspection sign. Obviously. That thing never would have past!  I over heard two other people say they were never going to ride in it again because they had already been stuck in the elevator twice!  The less-scary elevator had an elevator inspection sign.  It expired in 2008.  We were on the 11th floor.  Oh boy.
Preston
 The sliver of ocean view
Mike and I walked to the McDonalds across the street and got the kids some food.  Stockton started feeling sick and ended up having a fever before bed.  I had brought some peppermint oil, so I put that on him every fifteen minutes.  He was so sweet.  Mike and I then went out looking for somewhere for us to eat.  Nothing sounded good.  We made our way to Winn-Dixie and picked up a few things.  We got breakfast for tomorrow and an ice cream cake for tonight.  The kids ate cake with me and then we watched Enchanted.  The kids went to bed after that.  Mike and I went to our bed and fell asleep watching the BYU/Washington game.  Fight Hunger Bowl.  When I saw the score in the morning I was glad I fell asleep!  That, in a nutshell, is how I spent my 40th birthday.
The blue on the right is our room.  Crazy!

No comments: