Friday, November 15, 2013

John Stockton

I did it!  I got all the kids off to school and then went straight to the City Creek Deseret Book.  I got there a little before ten.  The first people in line got there at 3 am.  Deseret Book was handing out red tickets to the first 300 people in line.  If you got a red ticket you were guaranteed to have Stockton sign your book and one other item.  I think they handed out white tickets when the red ones were gone.  They could wait in line and see how long Stockton would stay.  I was so glad to get a red ticket!

I was hoping to get two books signed.  One for me and one for Brett.  (I have his name for Christmas.)  I didn't know if they would let me sign both, but I was really hoping they would.  When I went to buy my books I asked the lady.  She told me he would sign as many books as I bought, but only one personal item.  I froze.  How many do I want if I could have them all signed by Stockton?  I asked her how much it would be if I bought ten books.  After she told me the price I said, "Okay, I'll take eight."  I thought that would be one for me, my dad and all of my brothers.  Also one for Steve's family.  I texted Mike a picture of my red ticket and how many books I bought.  He asked if I could get another one for his dad.  I asked him I should get one for his sisters.  He said no.  Are you sure they won't be offended?  Again, Mike said no.  I hope that is true!  When I was driving home it dawned on me that I should have gotten a book for my Grandpa Parry!  DRAT!  I knew I should have picked up ten copies.  Sorry Grandpa!
My red ticket
I was so glad I came as early as I did.  Not only did I get a red ticket, but I got to wait inside.  The signing wasn't scheduled to start until 2:30, so that was about 4 1/2 hours of waiting until the signing even started.  I had a cozy spot in the window.  I was able to read, so the time passed just fine.  Liz Lemon Swindle was doing an autograph signing as well. She gave anyone who went up there three signed pictures of Christ.  She wants us to keep one and give the other two away.
Waiting in line
I felt so sorry for the people waiting in line outside.  They looked freezing!  The line went all the way down, then wrapped back up, then went down a side street.  So happy to be inside with my beautiful red ticket.  
Line outside
There was an older gentleman that was showing everyone in line his picture he had signed.  He was the Stockton's pediatrician when they lived in Utah.  He was excited that Stockton remembered him.  He said, "Stockton brought his kids to their appointments, that's just the kind of dad he was."
The workers had a very specific page they wanted the books to be opened to.  Then we were asked to stack the books.  I could barely hold them all, but I was so excited!
Stephanie and her nine books!
I was so excited!  The worker took me phone and was taking pictures.  It was hard to look at the camera when I just wanted to meet Stockton! I'm glad I got the pictures though.  I spent some of my time writing Stockton a thank you card while I was in line.  I passed it to him and said, "This is just a thank you card."  He looked surprised and said, "That is very kind."  I just thanked him for the many years of joy he brought to me and my brothers.  I also thanked him for taking such good care of his name.  I have never had to be embarrassed that I chose to name my boy Stockton.  I am very grateful for that.  I also stuck in a picture of Stockton.  It was funny because there were a few other people who had named their boys Stockton.  There was a grandma who had a grandson born last week named Stockton.  Definitely a more common name here than in Georgia!
Getting books signed
 Practically the same picture, but that's John Stockton!
 Stephanie and John Stockton - how cool is that?
 Stockton signing Stockton's jersey.
 Everyone thought it was adorable when they
realized how small the jersey was.  They were right!
 Just chatting with Stockton a little longer.
The guy behind me in line didn't have any memorabilia to sign.  He said he would get Stockton's baby picture signed for me.  So nice!  He did owe me.  I saved his place in line so he could go back to work. Haha! Really, he didn't owe me, but I was so excited that he offered to do that for me!
Stockton signing Stockton's baby picture.
 I love it!
 Fantastic day!
I was so excited after I got my items signed by Stockton.  I didn't know what to do.  I decided to take my books down to my car and then look around at some stores.  I figured that as long I was down here I would see what I could find.  There was one store I had been wanting to check out for awhile.  I found it, but decided not to get anything.  I wandered around a few more stores before I decided to head home.  I didn't buy anything, so it was kind of a waste.  Because I procrastinated leaving, I got stuck in rush hour traffic.  I got home around 5:30.  Stockton was in his swimming suit.  I  totally forgot about diving!  What?  It didn't even cross my mind.  I was so mad at myself.  I could have made it back in time if I didn't dilly-dally.  What was worse was Josh's mom called, but I had my phone on silent.  (I was driving at the time.)  She wanted to know if Stockton needed a ride.  Stockton was nice about it though.  I told him I was sorry, that I was in la-la land.  He laughed and said he noticed.  Too bad though.  I hate it when I forget things!

We had Stockton pick out something fun for us to do.  We watched Monsters University downstairs.  None of us had seen it before.  Mike also made some fresh popcorn.  It was a pretty fun night.

2 comments:

John William said...

Now you've had your picture taken with Stockton and Malone.

Christen said...

That is really cool! See... you DO always give the best presents!! :)