Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blessing and Gingerbread

Turns out Maysen does not want to go to Trek.  Really doesn't want to go.  There will be too many people, she would have to walk for days, it is outside, there will be bugs, she already knows the pioneers went through hard things. . .   Maysen had quite a big list.  I have always heard that trek is the most amazing experience.  I don't want Maysen to miss out on what might be the most incredible memory of her life because she is worried that it will be hard and uncomfortable.  Plus, how will I convince Stockton that he should go if I let Maysen stay home?  I am really at a loss.  I want both Maysen and Stockton to experience this, but I'm worried that if I force Maysen she will not have a good attitude and will make the entire trek miserable to herself and those around her.  Also, the youth are going to spend half a year getting ready.  If Maysen isn't going it might alienate her even more from the other girls.  That is definitely not what I want to happen.

On a brighter note, Maysen received her patriarchal blessing today. She set up the appointment herself.  We had our family fast this weekend instead of next week.  President Christensen spent a long time with us. We were there for about an hour and a half.  First he talked with Maysen alone.  Then he called us in and talked to us.  He would tell different stories and then say, "Who's in charge?"  He told us that after he was made Stake President, President Hinckley came to his office and talked to him.  After that meeting he etched a P in the chair President Hinckley sat in.  When he was being released, he was asked if there was anything he wanted to remind him of the experience of serving as stake president.  He asked for that chair.  President Christensen had Maysen sit in the same chair while he gave her the blessing.

Previous to the blessing Maysen had written down a list of concerns that she had.  She prayed about them most of the week.  She would not share with me any of her concerns - Boo!  But, she did say that every one was answered.  I cried through most of her blessing.  I didn't expect to do that!  It was just so tender to know that Heavenly Father was giving Maysen guidance for the rest of her life and to feel Heavenly Father's love for her.  Obviously I'm not going to write about the details of the blessing that was given her, but let's just say that she is (and will be) quite amazing.  Although I already knew that.

We got home from President Christensen's house a few minutes before 4.  People were coming to our house at 4 to make gingerbread houses!  Ahhhh!  That's okay, the kids played while I got the frosting ready.  We started about 45 minutes late.  When Lincoln walked in the door he said to Maysen, "Why do you have dots all over?"  Maysen answered, "Because my shirt has dots on it."  Lincoln said, "No, the dots on your face?"  Haha!  Made everyone laugh - even Maysen.  Kids are funny.

I now have a ton of pictures from out gingerbread making extravaganza!  My dad, Bubs and Ange and their family were here.  We had our neighbor Audrey over as well.  My kids are donating their house to Festival of Trees this year.  Jorja said, "It's fun decorating a house you are going to donate because then you can decorate it with things you don't like."  I think she was talking about the coconut.  I love this time of year!
Maysen and Mike
 Lincoln
 Stockton
 Mike
 Ange and Abbs
 Dad
 Ella
 Audrey
 Jorja
 Preston - notice the gingerbread strapped to the roof...
 Abigail
 Dad
 Mike
 Dad
 Audrey
 Gingerbread Land
 Steph, Bubs, Abbs, Dad, Stockton, Ange, Millie, Ella, Jorja
Lincoln, Preston, Maysen, Audrey
 Ella, Millie, Bubs, Abby & Ange, Lincoln
 Smith houses
 Jorja, Preston, Maysen, Mike, Stockton, Stephanie
 Audrey
 Ella
 Bubs
 Abbs
 Lincoln
 Ange & Amelia
 Bubs & Ange
 Dad
 I told him to open his eyes.
 Jorja
 Jorja with her front yard
 Preston
 Stockton
 Maysen
 Mike
 Rarely do I get a good smile on camera!  Had to put both.
 Usually I end up with this.  Haha!
Reminds me of his campaign posters from high school.
 Stephanie
Lincoln put six Snicker Nutcrackers on his house.  Three on each side. He said they were guarding the house so no one would eat it.  Maysen and Stockton were laughing about the flaws in that plan.  Mostly that the guards themselves were edible.  Something like, "Maybe you shouldn't use edible guards if you want that plan to succeed."  I really need to write things down!  They say things much funnier than I can re-create.  One of the many reasons that I am the worst at telling jokes!

No comments: