Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Extra One

This morning Maysen had an appointment with Holly.  I had Maysen drive.  We got there a few minutes before 11:00.  When Holly came out she saw us and said, "Oh no!  I double booked you!"  She ran back to her office to check her schedule.  I looked at my text messages and saw my last message to Holly.  It said, "1:00 would be perfect!"  Oh boy!  I told Holly our appointment was at 1.  Hey, I only added one extra one.  I was close!  Maysen looked at me and laughed and said, "Mom, maybe you need therapy!"  Holly told us we could come back at 7 so we wouldn't have to wait forever, or come back as soon as we got home.  That worked out well.

My dad took Jorja and Preston bowling.  He has Max today.  While they were gone I took Maysen and Stockton to the highschool to find their classes.  Stockton's is pretty close and easy to find.  That's good. As we were walking down the hall we saw his teacher.  I introduced Stockton to him.  He said, "You must be in 9th grade."  I told him he was actually in 8th grade.  That kind of got the teacher, Mr. Miller, flustered for a minute.  He was telling me that they don't allow 8th graders in this class.  He went back and looked at the roll and sure enough Stockton was on there.  He was surprised and said they must have added him this morning.  He also checked Stockton's grades. They were all As, so that is no big deal.  He wanted to see Stockton's test results, but he couldn't find them.  Mr. Miller asked me what our plan was for Stockton when he is a senior.  I have no idea.  I guess the problem is that Stockton will probably finish all of highschool math super early and then there is nothing for him to do.  When he gets to college, if he has had a break for more then two years they will make him take more math classes.  Although, I don't know how that works with missions.  I would think a lot of people would miss the two year mark.  His teacher is worried about putting him ahead might actually be putting him behind.  Seriously.  Schools are ridiculous.  This new common core program does not help kids like Stockton.  At all.

Anyway, we met Maysen's French teacher.  I loved her!  She was so energetic and outgoing.  She will be great for Maysen!  Next semester Maysen will have her two periods in a row.  She will also be Maysen's creative writing teacher.  I love that!  Ms. Defriez said, "Next year you can take French 4, and then AP French.  Everyone passes the AP test in my class!  It gives you ten college credits!"  Wow.  I wonder what the passing rate is for that test.  I have heard the language AP tests are really hard.  Then I started feeling guilty.  Stockton won't be able to take AP French because of his math.  He can't start French until next year.  I hope I am doing what is best for him.  How am I supposed to figure that out?

Maysen is not excited about her World Civ teacher.  She peaked in the room, but would not go in.  As we were walking away she said, "That is my Drivers Ed teacher."  Oh boy.  She has hated, hated, hated Drivers Ed.  The teacher has belittled and embarrassed her.  Hopefully it won't be the same in World Civ.  This is exactly what Maysen doesn't need right now.  At least it is only every other day and only the first semester.

Maysen does have a pretty good spot for her locker.  It took us forever to find it, but it is right by the cafeteria.  It also took us forever to figure out how to open it.  Luckily another parent showed us how when she saw us struggling.

When we got home from school, my dad was there making milkshakes for the kids.  My phone had run out of batteries, so I was a little worried. I asked how they had gotten in.  (I had to disable the garage door before I left.....it wouldn't close....)  I guess the door to my bedroom was left unlocked.  I'm glad it was!

I took Jorja clothes shopping today.  I hate shopping, but it is nice going with someone who will put up with it.  We tried the new outlet mall at Traverse Mountain.  We did pretty well.  I liked how they had a ton of kids stores next to each other.

Maysen and I went back to our appointment with Holly this evening. Maysen wouldn't drive though.  I am really happy with Holly and so glad we decided to do this for Maysen.  I just should have done this much earlier.  Man, it's hard being a mom!

No comments: