Saturday, June 29, 2013

Top of Zion - Day 2

Last night we slept on the lawn of a church.  It was cold outside. Finally!  I had no desire to sleep on the lawn and instead slept on the backseat of the van.  I slept so well!  Zac didn't get any sleep at all.  We started getting ready a little before 4 (I think).  We were all excited to get the last leg over with!
Heather - this is actually yesterday, her 1st leg
 Devin - last leg
I only had 1.7 miles to run on my last leg.  It was so hard!  I was completely exhausted by this time.  My legs hurt!  I pulled some muscle I have never felt before in my life.  Jordyn said it was my IT band. (I think that is what she said.)  I ran the entire way, but this time I was SLOW! I had 15 total miles and was able to run the entire way.  I was excited about that.  It was one of my goals.  I was SO GLAD to be finished!
 Stephanie - almost done! (I look exhausted!)
Jason and Stephanie
 FINISHED!
When Jason was done running we drove to the finish line.  It took us over two hours to get there.  The entire way was dirt trails.  I was SO GLAD I wasn't in van 2.  There wasn't one part of the trip that looked like it would be a good run.  So hard, hot and dusty.  When the runners were coming in they were saying that their shoes were melting to the rocks.  One runner collapsed on her leg.  They were only two legs away from the finish line.  Her teammates threw her in their van and raced to the finish.  They put her on IVs, an ambulance came and had to race her to the hospital.  Hope she will be okay.

There was one team that we were with for quite awhile.  I passed them when I ran my first leg.  When we left this morning they were still sleeping.  They never passed us.  When we got to our van exchange  the other van said they left 40 minutes before we got there.  What?  I guess it is called Leap Frogging.  They just started when they wanted to.  Who made up these rules?  Anyway, when we finished they asked us if we Leap Frogged.  Nope.  We didn't ever have a Ghost Runner either. Funny they didn't ask about that!  Ryan (the super fast runner in the other car) ended up coming in three minutes after the team that left early.  So close!
Magnum a.k.a. Zac
 Van 1: Jordyn, Stephanie, Devin, Jason, Heather, Zac
 Cousins!  Jordyn, Stephanie, Devin, Heather, Zac
It was so hot at the finish line.  We had to wait forever.  It seemed torturous, but I was glad I wasn't running in that heat!  Once our other van finished we were able to leave!  We drove back to the starting line so Jordyn could get her car.  Then we had a long drive home.  Lots of deer running across the road.  I pulled into my driveway at about 12:30 at night.  So thankful to have made it home safely and to sleep in my own bed!  What was even better was Mike met me out by the driveway.  He had the entire kitchen spotless when I got home.  AWESOME!

No comments: