Monday, June 17, 2013

Snow Cone Stand

This morning I picked Maysen up from Drivers Ed and then ran a quick errand.  I needed to grab some crickets for Jorja's frogs.  I left Maysen in the car with the air conditioning on.  I was only going to be a minute. As I was walking back to the car, I got a text from Jorja.  She said the TV broke again.  I wrote her back and then hopped in the car.  I said, "Guess what?  The . . . " I then realized that Maysen was not sitting where I left her.  I looked for her thinking she had moved to the back where her regular seat is.  As I turned my head I could see a toddler asleep in his car seat.  He was kind of stirring because I was pretty loud. I turned around even farther and saw a boy around the age of 8 playing his DS.  He was shrinking down as I was scaring him half to death.  I looked at him and said, "I don't think this is my car.  Do you think this is my car?"  He smiled and with the widest eyes he shook his head - although he refused to look at me, he was staring straight at his DS. Yep, that was awesome.

I told the story to the kids when I got home.  Preston got a paper towel. He ran outside and looked at our license plate number.  He wrote it on the paper towel in a sharpie.  He gave it to me and told me to look at the license plate before I got in any more cars.  Thanks for the help Preston.

Anyway . . . . today the kids had their first home swim meet.  A couple of weeks ago I overheard Alycia saying she was going to call the 'snow cone' guy to see if he would sell snow cones at the meet. I guess they did that a few years ago.  I talked to Mike when I got home, then e-mailed Alycia to see if we could be the 'snow cone' guy.  The kids were so excited about this!  We ordered ten new flavors.  The kids each got to pick two flavors.  Luckily they arrived this morning!  I was getting a little nervous!

Mike asked Jorja to make a sign.  Stockton helped her.  He went and looked up in his marketing book which colors make people more hungry.  Too bad she was out of red and orange paint.
Jorja and Stockton's sign
Mike came home early from work to help set up the stand.  It was great. The kids worked there the entire time, they would just leave when their events came up.  They were so happy doing this.  I was timing on one of the lanes, so I couldn't help at all; but whenever I looked over it seemed like there was always a line.  That made for some very happy kids!  We had about $130 in expenses.  The rest of the money was split up between Stockton, Jorja and Preston.  They each earned almost $50. Nice way to spend the down time at the swim meet!
Stockton & Jorja with random customers
While Mike was helping the kids, his best friend when he was little showed up.  He had come to our house first and Maysen told him where to find Mike.  Maysen was funny telling the story because she could hear noises and couldn't figure out where they were coming from.  She went to check it out and while she was standing in front of the door it rang.  That was Alex.  She went back to her writing, but could still hear noises.  Pretty soon she heard the microwave.  She cautiously checked it out and saw Sam.  Funny!  Sam and Matt had come to get some camping stuff out of their storage unit we have in our backyard.  Matt had called but I was helping at the scoring table for diving.  I knew he was planning on coming, so I didn't worry about it.  Maysen said, "I didn't know you were here!"  Sam told her, "I didn't know you were here either.  If I had known that I would have made scary murderer noises!" Awesome.
Mike & Alex, Preston, Jorja, Stockton
The kids did great at the swim meet as well.  Stockton scored a 104.03. His last dive was a backflip half twist.  I have never seen him do that dive before, and he did it so well!  Jorja swam the breast stroke in the relay.  She swam her 50 free in 53.93 (about 1 second slower than her best), her 50 breast in 1:01.59 (I second faster than her best), and the 25 fly in 31.19 (about 3 seconds slower than her best).  I don't know how fast Preston swam his free.  Last week he swam the 25 free in 1:39.99.  He thought he was so fast!  He swam his back last week in 1:54.34.  This week he swam his 25 back in 2:05.63.  I know because I was the one timing him.  He is adorable!!!

No comments: