Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Melting Ore Like Nephi

What a long, exhausting, fun day!  I spent the morning getting ready for Preston's field day.  I was in charge of one of the stations.  It turned out pretty easy.  One of the mom's brought a balance beam.  I had them go across the beam doing different things; balance a frisbee on their head, backwards, blindfolded.  I did fill up a lot of water balloons for another station.  It was fun, but I am SO glad it is over!
Preston at recess
Austin, Preston, Maddie
Mike has been working for a long time on my Young Womens' activity today.  Don't get me wrong, he thought it was awesome that I wanted him to get all of his toys working.  I wanted to do something super awesome today.  This was Paige's last time with us.  She absolutely loved it when we changed oil in the car, so I wanted to do something workshop related.  Mike did not disappoint!  Paige was in heaven!  The girls all loved it.  When we were announcing the activity I wasn't sure if we would have to change it at all.  I told them Mike was in charge of the activity on Tuesday.  They all started cheering.  Yes, he has an awesome reputation.

Mike printed all of their initials with his 3D printer.  When they arrived he had them make molds of their initials.  The girls loved watching the 3D printer.  Paige said, "I could watch this all day!"  She then said she wanted to video it so she could watch it on YouTube over and over. Mike told her there were lots of videos like that already up there.  She seemed to like that idea.
Zoe & Paige watching the 3D printer
You can't see it here in the below picture, but Paige was so excited!  Her legs were bouncing up and down while Mike was talking to them.  He was talking about Nephi and finding ore to make the tools.
Paige, Jacqui, Ashley
 Paige & Zoe making molds
We then went outside.  Mike had a few molds ready.  He then had the girls use a blow torch to melt the molds.  That was a huge hit!  This picture is one of my all time favorite pictures of Paige.  I love the look on her face.  Paige hates to have her picture taken and she always hides. When Mike does activities she lets me take as many pictures of her as I want.  It's awesome.
Zoe, Paige, Ashley
 Mike & Kelsee
 Ashley & Mike
 Maysen didn't have an activity this week, so she came to ours.
Mike had the girls cut up aluminum for him to melt.  The sparks got pretty high when that was happening.  The girls were cheering!  Who needs fireworks on the 4th of July?  We can just watch Mike play with his toys.
Mike (Kelsee & Zoe)
 Those sparks got high!
 Zoe, Kelsee, Paige, Rachael, Whitney, Ashley, Mike & Jorja
 Mike & Paige
 Paige - loving it
 Ashley & Mike
 Mike & Zoe
The girls then spent their five minute break in the tree house.  I'm glad it held all of them!  That would have been embarrassing!
Rachael, Paige, Ashley, Zoe, Whitney
Mike had all the girls look at the metal as it was melting.  It looked really cool.
Ashley, Zoe's legs, Kelsee, Maysen, Paige, Mike
 Mike & his sparks
 Mike taking his bucket out of the furnace
 H-O-T!  Mike had the girls far away for this part.
 Liquid - filling the molds
The girls kept commenting on how pretty the melted metal was.  They just wanted to touch it.  Mike took a board and stuck it in.  It caught fire and melted instantly.  Yep, just how Satan makes sin seem so innocent and beautiful.
 Mike
 Yep, he's awesome!
 The melted metal.  Not perfect, but they loved the process!
We finished the evening with snow cones.  The girls kept saying it was the best Young Womens' activity ever!  It was so much fun.  Thanks Mike for putting in all that work for my girls!
Ashley, Rachael, Zoe
 Ashley & Scary Zoe
 Whitney, Crazy Rachael, Ashley

No comments: