Friday, May 3, 2013

Dentist

I took the boys to the dentist this morning.  We had just enough time to drop off Preston at school.  He was even going to be right on time.  The dentist is about thirty minutes away.  I was almost to Preston's school when he said he felt like he might throw up.    He barely got those words out of his mouth when he threw up everywhere.  For a long time.  It just wouldn't stop and there was nothing I could do.  Stockton grabbed him a throw up bag, he was able to get some in there . . . but everything was pretty much covered.  I turned around and drove straight home.  The entire way I was hoping Mike was still there.  He was going to work late because he was meeting a building contractor.  We are thinking about adding on to our house.  Anyway, Mike was still there!  Thank goodness!  I got Preston in the tub while Mike cleaned out the car.  I'm not sure if Preston was just car sick, or if being at the dentist made him sick . . . but he was fine the rest of the day.  I remember in Georgia, Stockton's dentist refused to see him unless he had the first appointment in the morning and didn't eat breakfast first.  I guess he would almost always throw up on her.

At parent teacher conference last week, Stockton's math teacher suggested I put him in an accelerated math program.  Basically he would take 9th grade math and 1/2 of 10th grade math this year.  Next year he would take 1/2 of 10th grade math and 11th grade math. Because he is already a year ahead in math, he would take Calculus in 10th grade.  I know this is crazy, but I really feel good about this.  It sounds perfect for Stockton.  He is in 8th grade Honors math right now (as a 7th grader).  He rarely brings home homework and has 103% in his class.  I have been so annoyed at myself for not putting him in 8th grade math last year.  I knew it was where he should be, but I let other people talk me out of it.  I feel like I didn't fight for him.  Anyway, I was excited when I heard about this program, because I feel it would put Stockton more where he needs to be.  The only problem is, because he will be an 8th grader next year the High School won't let him sign up for the class until August.  I called and asked them about it.  The lady told me they needed to make sure all their students had first choice.  I explained that this was Stockton's high school, we live in the boundaries, he needed to be there.  They wouldn't budge.  Right now there is five spots left in the class.  I'm so annoyed that kids who might be pulling C's in math are welcomed in, but Stockton who needs a class like this might not be able to have this opportunity.  The other thing I'm worried about is the class is only offered once.  3rd period.  I don't know what to do.  I was hoping to get him into math 1st period so it won't mess up his other classes.  I guess I'll have to wait until August to figure it out.  I'm really annoyed about that.

Bubs was coaching games at Alta tonight.  After we got the kids to bed I went down to watch him.  There were a few plays, and then one kid made an amazing clutch shot - right at the buzzer.  The game was tied and that shot won the game for them.  I had no idea the game was almost over.  The next game was a forfeit, so I only got to watch Bubs ref for less than five minutes.  Oh well, it was an exciting five minutes.
Bubs with the ball

No comments: