Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cabinets are Heavy

Mike and I were back up at his house by 8:00.  We started working on the kitchen cabinets.  It took FOREVER to get them out.  They were wedged in there pretty good.  It's almost like they were made for this house.  Mike tried knocking out the ceiling to get them out.  As he was hitting the ceiling he said, "Sorry Mom".  That made me laugh because I was just thinking, "Your mom would be so mad at you!"  Anyway, busting the ceiling didn't work.  Finally Mike tried cutting the tile in front.  He had to cut a huge piece in order to drag the cabinets out.  He totally hurt his back while he was doing this.  We were only able to get one cabinet out before church.  It took almost two hours of hard, hard work.  Poor Mike.
Mike

Stephanie
This morning we saw Matt (not my brother, my brother-in-law) up here.  He was picking up the rock Sherry got the other day.  They are adding onto their house over their garage.  Two more rooms and changing the bathrooms up a bit.  I can't wait to see it when it is done. The work starts tomorrow.  He thinks it will be finished by summer.

Mike and I came back after church.  We got the second kitchen cabinet out.  We thought it would be easier since Mike had cut all the tile.  It was easier, but not by much.  It didn't help that Mike's back was killing him!  After we loaded the second cabinet we got to work on the ceiling. We weren't having much luck.  Mike wanted to quit.  I asked if I could try.  I didn't get anything done, but I looked so pathetic up there that some other people came and talked to us.  They had been getting the shingles from the outside.  He said that it was really hard and seemed that all the nails were facing the wrong direction - something that we had definitely noticed.  He told us to start from the top and work down. We did and decided that he was a genius.  It worked a ton better and we were able to get a lot of wood from the loft area.
Mike on the bridge with no railings anymore.
 View from the loft.
 Out side the loft.  The railings were taken down there as well.
 Mike - Finally got the ceiling to work!
 Mike - a little too close to the edge for my comfort
 View from the hallway looking into the loft.
 View of the front door from the bridge.
I didn't like being at church today.  Only because then I had time to sit and think about what was going on.  As long as we keep busy it doesn't seem to sink in.  Believe me, we have kept busy!  I'm thankful we had this opportunity to bring some of our memories into our home, at the same time it is incredibly hard.  It will be worth it though . . . just need to power through the heavy emotions.

No comments: