Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cayman Islands

We had bad luck today.  Our excursion for the day was this pirate boat thing.  We were going to ride this pirate looking ship.  The kids would be pirates.  They would swab the deck, tie up one of the dads and finish by walking the plank (jumping into the ocean).  The reviews said it was cheesy but a lot of fun.  Stockton and Mike were looking forward to this.  Stockton had asked me many times which day we get to do the pirate ship.  Our excursion wasn’t until 2:00.  That was kind of a bummer because it wasn’t going to be super long, but it didn’t leave us any time to do something else before or after.  We ended up getting off the boat around 11:00.  We decided to let the kids wander some shops to pick up a souvenir.  Stockton did not enjoy this part of our trip.  When it was finally time for our excursion we made our way back to the dock where we were supposed to meet.  The only problem was no one was there except a few other families and whispers about our excursion being cancelled.  I waited with the kids while Mike tried to figure out what was going on.  It took about 45 minutes before we got conformation that our trip had been cancelled.

Later we were told that the guy who runs the pirate ship cancelled the excursion around 11:30.  They made an announcement, but we were off the ship at that time.  I wouldn’t be annoyed with Norwegian if I thought they had done everything they could.  At minimum they could have had a sign saying the excursion was cancelled.  They should have had a person there letting us know it was cancelled.  The poor security guard kept calling the boat to find out what was going on, no one was even at the excursion desk.  I’m disappointed because who knows if we will ever come back to this island again.  We could have easily gone to the turtle farm, which three of my four kids would have loved.  Anyway, quite disappointed in the service we got today.
Mike 
On the plus side, the girls got some stinking cute hats.  They will love them by our pool this summer.  Stockton got a ball that is supposed to skip on water.  Again, that will be fun for him in the pool.  Preston got a light up fan that says LOVE.  Too bad he broke it before he went to bed.  New record.
 Maysen
Jorja
Preston
We did get to go bowling today.  We wanted to do it at least once.  Bowling is $5/person.  Luckily we were able to get in on the 2 for 1 deal.  I did horrible!  It is hard to bowl on a ship!  Stockton won.  He was very happy about that.  I tried to take pictures, but most of them turned out blurry.  Oh well, they can't all be winners.
 Mike
 Jorja
 Maysen
 Preston
 Stockton
 Stockton's Strike Dance
 Maysen's annoyed that I kept making her do the Strike Dance
 Preston and Stockton
 Final Score
Stockton's proud
This evening Preston went to play in the kids area (and LOVED it!)  We went with the kids to the show that was supposed to be amazing.  We had really close seats.  There was supposed to be singing, dancing, trapeze stuff, acrobatics, contortionists . . . . It sounded really cool.  I was imagining some circus thing.  If I had realized what the show was I definitely wouldn’t have brought my kids to it.  I doubt I would have chosen to sit through the show myself.  It was Donovan and Rebecca.  They have been on America’s Got Talent and hold three world records.  Maybe the show wouldn’t have been so bad if we weren’t sitting so close.  But the skimpy costumes, the seductive walking, the awkward poses – they all made me extremely uncomfortable with my kids sitting right beside me.  I wish we could have made an inconspicuous exit, but that was impossible.  As soon as the show was over I leaned over to the kids and whispered, “You deserve ice cream for sitting through that.”  Thank goodness Preston didn’t come with us!

Preston spent his time playing pirates.  They even went on a pirate parade and a treasure hunt.  I found Preston as he was walking through the ship with his kids group.  I held his hand and went on the rest of the parade with him.  Stinky Pete stole the treasure.  They found him out by the pool and pushed him in.  I was glad I was there.  I held Preston so he could see, and also so he wasn’t trampled by everyone.  I felt like I was going to be trampled.  Preston was able to pick a prize from the treasure chest.  He picked a necklace.  He wouldn’t let us wash off his face paint tonight.  He loved it.
Preston trying to wink to show off his eye patch face paint
 Preston
 Hamster

No comments: