Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cake Day?

I have been getting ready for my Book Club tomorrow.  It is at my house. The title Book Club is used very loosely.  We stopped reading books.  We still get together once a month.  Mike calls it my Imaginary Book Club. Anyway, I have planned on having sandwiches.  Mike and I made three loaves of bread today.  I was trying to decide what to make for dessert when Stockton mentioned it was pi day tomorrow!  I couldn't believe I didn't think of that!  If I remembered earlier I could have done pies all around.

I came upstairs from tucking in Stockton and said, "I can't believe I didn't remember it was pi day tomorrow."  Maysen smiled and said, "Funny you should say that."  She then handed me a cake mix with a piece of paper.  This is what her paper said.

Dear Mom,

As you may or may not be aware, tomorrow is Thursday, March 14th, and Pi Day.  I know that you're going to be really busy getting ready for your book club, but do you think that maybe we could bake a cake to celebrate this special day?

Cakes, you see, are far superior to pies.  A recent poll showed that 3.5 out of 6 people (83%) in our family actually dislike pie.  Consequently, cake is a dessert that is liked by everyone.  This is because cake tastes so much better than pie does.  You don't ever see people enjoying a pie on their birthday, do you?  Of course not!  Why would anyone want to eat a fruit-stuffed pie when they could have a delicious, creamy cake instead?

Secondly, pie takes far longer to make than cake does.  You would have to spend an hour on the crust alone as well as three hours on the filling - it has to set for two hours, after all.  A box of French Vanilla cake would be finished in about an hour and a half, including the time it would take to frost it.  You certainly have enough time to bake a cake even with your book club coming over, but can you say the same for pie?

Would you believe that French Vanilla cake has less calories in it than Banana Cream Pie does?  In one pie slice there are 387 calories and 19.58 total grams of fat.  Don't even ask about the cookies and cream flavor!  A piece of cake, on the other hand, contains 160 calories and 1.5 total grams of fat.  You did say that you wanted to lose weight before Spring Break . . . didn't you?

Pi Day has become a fad across the nation, and even the world.  In many homes it is now tradition to bake a pie when March 14th rolls around.  Cake is more delicious, easier to make, and surprisingly even less fattening than pie is.  So this Pi Day, why not be original and bake a cake instead?  You'll definitely be glad you did, and the rest of your family will be too.

Sincerely,

Maysen

Man she makes me laugh.  I did appreciate her note.  Especially since I was able to use the back of it to write a shopping list for the ingredients of pie.  Pie is delicious, case closed.

Yes, I have been trying to lose weight before Spring Break.  That is only because we are going on a cruise and I wanted to lose five pounds so I could gain ten.  Logical.  I just wasn't able to do it because food is delicious.  Especially pie.

No comments: