Thursday, October 11, 2012

Parent Teacher Conference

Once again, today was a crazy, busy day.  I spent most of the morning shopping for clothes for our family pictures next week.  That is really stressing me out.  I wish I was good at things like that.  I met my friend, Becky, at Corner Bakery for lunch.  It is Becky's birthday.  She was watching kids today, with a YW meeting at night.  Didn't sound like too much fun.  Liz, Blake's nanny, picked up Preston at the bus stop for me.

Once I got home, did piano and homework with Preston, it was almost time to leave again.  As soon as the kids got home, Maysen and I went to Parent-Teacher conference.  We stopped at the Seminary first, just to make my dad proud.  I don't think they were expecting anyone that early because they had just gotten their dinner.  We then went to the gym to wait in line for the teachers we wanted to talk to.  Maysen wanted to talk to her English teacher.  Maysen has all As, but she was marked down on one of her papers.  They were supposed to grade their partner. Maysen's partner didn't write a story, so when Maysen evaluated the paper she would put 'none' on many of the questions.  On the question - What could they have done better? Maysen wrote, "She could have written her paper."  Anyway, Maysen didn't think she should get marked down because her partner didn't do her work.  Once we talked to the teacher, she agreed.  Glad that was settled.

Maysen and I also talked to her Biology teacher.  Maysen is LOVING that class.  She really likes her teacher.  I asked her if she was moving to the high school next year.  It was really interesting to here her thought process.  She won't be at the middle school for sure, but she is not sure about staying in this school district.  There are many decisions being made that are not good for the teachers.  I have heard this from multiple sources.  It is quite scary.  I hope all the good teachers don't decide to leave.  

Mike came and picked up Maysen to take her to pottery while I finished up talking to some teachers.  Stockton is getting a B+ in English.  He has great scores on everything, but he didn't turn in his reading log the day it was due.  So, he has an F on that.  That is 15% of his grade.  He should be able to get it up by the end of the trimester...we'll see.  

I talked to Maysen's gym teacher.  She is also getting an A there.  Well, she has all As right now.  That being said, Maysen hates gym.  It is making her school day miserable for her.  I talked to her teacher about it.  He was quite surprised.  He said he didn't want Maysen hating school because of gym.  I said, "Well, that's where we are right now." We talked about different things that are bothering her.  He said the next unit is volleyball and he would try to get her on a good team. Meaning he will try to put her with nice girls.  That will be nice.  For now, she will just have to suffer through the basketball unit.  Once Thanksgiving is here, she will never have to do gym in middle school again.  For that I will be very grateful.

The last teacher I stopped to talk to was Stockton's choir teacher.  There were two of them at the desk, so I'm guessing he has a student teacher right now.  I sat down and said, "I'm here for Stockton Smith." Both of them got a big smile on their face and said, "Stockton!"  His teacher told me he was fantastic.  They do this sight reading thing every day.  They have to do the do-re-mis with the hand signs.  I learned that in college. They said that Stockton gets it right on the first time every time.  He said, "I have started having Stockton do it first, and then he is only allowed to do the signs because everyone copies him."  They were so complementary about him.  To be honest, I didn't see that one coming. I mean, it's choir.  I was worried Stockton wouldn't participate.  I am so glad he does.  I'm glad his teachers can see what an amazing person he is.

I was at the school from 4 to 7.  I was late to my meeting at the stake center, so I just went right there.  I was just in levis.  I was a little embarrassed about that, but I figured we would be doing breakout sessions in the classrooms.  Nope.  The entire meeting was in the chapel.  Great.

I got home right before Mike and Maysen.  Mike had taken Jorja out to Sizzler while Maysen was at pottery.  Stockton fed Preston and put him to bed.  I was so thankful that he was responsible and did that.  Mike had forgotten I was going to be at my meeting, so he didn't warn Stockton that I wouldn't be back.  I am glad that Preston wasn't too crazy and went down good for him.  I love my family.

No comments: