Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Maysen's 15th Birthday

Maysen is now 15.  Wow.  I wish she wasn't getting older, but at the same time I am glad she is getting older.  It is much better than the alternative.  Mike made Maysen crepes for breakfast this morning.  I brought her a grilled cheese sandwich and a chocolate milkshake for lunch.  It was nice to be able to spend some time with her at school.  For dinner she asked for 'scratch rolls'.  That is all we had for dinner! Haha.  Not very healthy....just the way my kids like it.
Maysen
 Maysen and Jorja
After dinner we read scriptures and let Maysen open her presents. Preston was so excited to give Maysen his present.  He gave her a giant KitKat with a picture he had drawn wrapped around it.  He drew a lot of cats.  It was pretty cute.
Maysen
 Maysen and Preston
 Jorja and Maysen
 Maysen's present from Jorja
 Maysen
 Maysen's present from Stockton
Maysen also got a parcheesi game, penguins (I forgot to put the picture here.....I'll add it tomorrow), and her favorite - a later bedtime. Although she said she knew about that one.  I guess Mike promised her six months ago....I just didn't know about it.  Her bedtime had been 8:00 with the rest of the kids.  Now it is 9:30 on school nights and 10:00 on weekends.  I guess that is a good thing.  I wish Mike would have gotten pictures of the kids faces when they found out about the bedtime!  Mike had Maysen wave her wand and the moving sign thing in the playroom.  That is when her prize was revealed.  Stockton couldn't believe it!  Jorja was really sad.  Both of their faces were priceless.

Maysen wanted a yellow cake with store bought chocolate icing.  Not very exciting, but it made it easy for me.
After cake we 'kidnapped' my dad and took him to Cold Stone.  When the kids turn an even number, they can have a party if they want.  When they turn an odd number, they can choose where to go to eat.  Maysen chose Cold Stone.  That was not quite what we were thinking when we started this arrangement.  Oh well.  My dad gave Maysen her present while we were there.  He wrote her a poem.

"On Turning Fifteen"

There's something concerning the number fifteen
That makes it uniquely unique;
You're halfway to thirty--smack dab in between,
And a fourth way to sixty--don't freak!
Get a grip, hold on tight, suck it up, though it out;
Your best years are lying ahead;
It won't serve you well for to grumble and pout,
So perk up and be happy instead.

To begin this new "happiness" phase of your life,
Jollification is justified;
To relieve you from pressures of school causing strife,
I'll step forward to be your own guide.
So, I've got a plan that involves Monday night,
And a seat set aside just for you;
At seven o'clock they'll turn down the light;
We'll watch the boys "pick a pocket or two."

Maysen was excited.  The two plays she has wanted to see was Wicked and Oliver.  Maysen and I took care of Wicked in July, now she'll get to see Oliver with my dad.  That will be fun for her.

Jorja had a hard time going to bed without Maysen.  She was so sad. She said, "Am I never going to sleep with her again?"  I tried to explain that she still would be able to sleep with her, just sometimes she won't fall asleep with her.  When Mike and I tucked Maysen into bed, we peaked at Jorja.  She was sleeping with a picture of her and Maysen. What a sweet little princess.  I wish I could help her, but I'm not sure what the best solution is.
Jorja

No comments: