Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Club

Book club was at my house tonight.  Mike took Maysen to pottery.  I was able to get the kids down before everyone came over.  That was nice. Our book was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  I wasn't able to finish the entire thing, but I finished about 3/4 of it.  It was really interesting.  It felt like I was reading a well done research paper.  

I made veggie bars.  It is one of my favorite things from Georgia.  Teresa used to make them.  I'm sure she still does, I just don't get to eat them anymore.  I have asked Teresa for the recipe about ten times.  She keeps giving it to me, and I keep losing them.  Anyway, today was the first time I made them.  It was a success!  We also had these fruit sorbet things from Costco.  My dad took me there this morning.  Rachel and I tried them at Ange's house yesterday.  Yummy!

Veggie Bars

2 tubes crescent rolls (the ones that make 8 per tube)
3/4 cups mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pkgs. 8 oz. very softened cream cheese (let it sit out)
16 oz. dry Ranch dressing mix
3/4 cup of each chopped finely -- red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, carrot, green onion, broccoli (I did about one cup total of the peppers, 3/4 cups each of the green onion and carrot and 2 cups of the broccoli)
3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Spread crescent rolls flat on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 until slightly brown.

While rolls are cooling, mix mayo, sour cream, cream cheese and dressing mix.  Spread over flat rolls after they have cooled completely.

Mix the veggies and cheese together (make sure cheese is cold or it clumps together and does not mix well).  Then top rolls and cream cheese mixture with the chopped vegies and cheese.

Take plastic wrap and place on top to press down veggies and cheese so they stay in place.  Chill for an hour.

Cut into small squares and serve.  It is a little messy to slice, but ends up looking good.

I wrote Teresa's recipe just as she sent it to me.  I love how she added all the parenthesis.  She knows I need lots of explanation!  I even still messed up.  I was thinking that the cream cheese box probably had 2 packets of cream cheese.  16 oz of cream cheese seamed a lot.  I was wrong.  Whoops.  I made a few adjustments, but it turned out yummy and everyone wanted the recipe.  Whew!



No comments: