Saturday, September 8, 2012

17th Anniversary

I had a LONG night last night.  It was really hard to sleep.  I was also pretty cold.  Maybe I couldn't sleep because it was so quiet.  Eerily quiet. There was absolutely no sound.  Not even crickets.  No birds.  Nothing. It was kind of cool, but very strange.  When we woke up this morning, the battery on my phone was dead.  Luckily I had my little red camera, so we were able to get a few more pictures.  Too bad I didn't empty the camera card before we left, because we ran out of room quickly.
2nd Reservoir
 Dam with a hole blown in it
I'm not sure why the dam was built in the first place.  It seems a long way up to build something like this.  I'm really not sure why they decided they didn't want it after all the work they put in it.
Mike was excited to go fishing, but he had no luck.  I didn't see any fish at all.  Mike said that was the only thing he was disappointed with in this trip.
Mike
The water line was really low by the time we got up here.  You can kind of see where the water usually hits on this tree.  Mike said that he has never been able to walk all the way around the reservoir before.  He was quite surprised.
 Mike
Mike remembers a lot of water coming down this stream.  He even remembers his brother, Steve, seeing a fish, sticking in his pole and immediately pulling out a fish.  It was bone dry today.
 Stephanie - still cold
 Mike - I love this picture
 Stephanie & Mike - man, I'm getting old
I took a picture of this tree because #1 Maysen would like it and #2 it looked awesome.
 The other side of the dam
 We are high!
 What a view!
We started hiking down the mountain about 11:00.  The boulders were super scary this time.  I was trying not to cry in parts.  I was so scared. We missed the 2nd waterfall again on the way down.  I will now call it the mythical waterfall.  Not sure it really exists.  We decided not to stop at the first waterfall. I was so tired, it was hard to decide what I wanted more; to rest or to be done hiking.  I wanted to be done hiking.  I enjoyed myself on the way down, except the rocks - hated those things, and the last hour.  I was so tired and wobbly by the last hour.  I'm not sure if I have ever been so happy to see Mike's jeep.  Actually think I have.  There were many, many days when the kids were little that seeing his jeep pull up lifted my spirits so high.

Anyways, we stumbled into the jeep about 4:00.  The hike took up 6 1/2 hours up and 5 hours down.  Mike cut some sunflowers to bring home for our anniversary.  When we got home, we had about an hour to get ready for Mike's family.  They were coming over to swim.  Rachel was awesome and had the kitchen clean.  Yes, Rachel came all the way from Japan to watch our kids and clean our kitchen.  What a nice sister-in-law I am!

I know it was crazy to have Mike's family over after the huge hike.  That was not the original plan.  They were supposed to come over last week, but it was stormy.  We changed it to this week instead of missing out on them all together.  It was fun to have his family over.  I enjoy getting to know them better.  Have I mentioned I love living in Utah?

Rachel and the girls swam with us for awhile.  (When I say us, it was not me.  I sat and didn't move.)  After they were done swimming, my dad came and picked them up so they could watch a movie at his house. They decided to sleep over there.  We have 9:00 church, so it was probably a wise choice.

This was a fun weekend.  One in which Mike had been looking forward to for a long time.  Am I glad I went on his crazy trip?  Yes.  Will I go again?  I'm not quite sure.  I joked with Mike that maybe it will be like having a baby.  After awhile I will only remember the awesome experience and forget all the pain involved.

No comments: