Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book of Mormon Challenge

Stockton had a Court of Honor tonight.  He got a ton of merit badges. School starts tomorrow.  We have been looking for his backpack.  At the Court of Honor they had a ton of things on the piano that was left over from camp.  Stockton's backpack was there!  Perfect timing!
President Back with all the boys Stockton's age
President Back also met Bubs today.  He came up to me and told me he met Spencer.  I was a little confused.  It was funny I didn't connect that Spencer was Bubs until Mike pointed it out.  President Back has two kids in Bubs' ward.  One of them was speaking today.  Small world.
Stockton getting his merit badges from Brother Masters
 Stockton & Stephanie
Today we started a Book of Mormon challenge with the Young Men/Young Women in the ward.  They have been challenged to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  If they read three pages a day they can do it.  I was in charge of making up a weekly challenge sheet.  My dad helped me and I was quite happy with it.  I hope the kids like it.  I might have to go to only one challenge a week if I don't get any responses, but hopefully they will like the different choices.  We will see.  So far I have received a text from Maysen, Darby and Bowie. Although Darby and Bowie are in the same family.  But my beehives seem to worship Bowie for some reason.  When I brought him his plate of cookies I told him to put it on instagram and make my beehives jealous.  Anyway, here is my challenge.  It is quite long, so feel free it skip it, but I wanted to write it here anyway.

1 Nephi 1 - 1 Nephi 12

1 Nephi 1:20
Elder Bednar gave a talk in the April 2005 conference titled The Tender Mercies of the Lord.  He described tender mercies as very personal and individualized blessings.  Often, the Lord's timing of His tender mercies help us discern and acknowledge them.

As an example, Elder Bednar explained how he felt the first time he spoke at conference as the newest apostle.  He was feeling the pressure of his new calling.  The intermediate hymn, sung right before he was to speak and chosen long before his call was issued was his favorite hymn.  That was a tender mercy.  Elder Bednar immediately felt comfort and reassurance.

The first three people to text Stephanie Smith the name of this hymn will receive a plate of cookies.

Hint: lds.org --> teaching tab (top/right) --> General Conference --> in the 'search conference' box type: tender mercies bednar --> click on The Tender Mercies of the Lord

1 Nephi 3:7
Sing "Nephi's Courage" to one of your YW/YM leaders.  Many of your leaders have one candy bar to give to the first person who sings to them.

1 Nephi 4:10-18
Nephi was obedient to the Spirit and did something very hard for him that he didn't want to do.  Think of a time in your life when you obeyed the Spirit (or your mom, or your dad, or your Bishop, or your youth leader) and did something hard that you didn't want to do.

1 Nephi 8 (also see 1 Nephi 15:24)
In Lehi's dream, those who clung to the iron rod safely made it to the tree.  What do you need to do in your life that would represent clinging to the iron rod?

Leave your answer in a comment on the blog post titled "Lehi's Dream" at crescent18.blogspot.com

1 Nephi 11:16
Look up "condescension" in a dictionary.  It has both a negative and positive meaning.  How does the positive meaning of the word "condescension" apply to Jesus?

Bring your answer on a piece of paper to church next Sunday.

1 Nephi 12:17
What are the temptations of the devil that the youth of the church have to deal with today?

That is all of this weeks challenges.  Hopefully the kids like them.  I think they should be fun . . . we shall see.

No comments: