Thursday, August 23, 2012

10 Meter

Today I took my kids and Shannon's boys to Cottonwood Heights Swimming Pool.  They have platforms there.  Stockton did the 3 meter springboard (his favorite) a couple of times, but didn't want to go off the platforms.  The line was really long.  Jorja was playing with Preston, so I decided I might as well do it.  First I went off the 3 meter.  I was surprised how high that was!  That one kind of scared me!  So naturally I decided to try the 10 meter.  They also have a 5 and 7 meter, but I figured I might as well do the tall one.  Jorja and Preston saw me climb up.  It was a long climb.  They make everyone wait at the bottom while the one person climbs to which ever platform they want.  When I finally got up there and walked to the edge I about chickened out.  I was so scared.  Preston & Jorja were cheering for me.  I still almost walked down.  I thought, "Well, no one has died here yet so I will make it.  How bad can it be?"  I jumped off.  On a scale of 1-10 of scariness I thought it was a 10.  I can't believe those Olympic divers.  It hurt a little when I landed.  Maybe a 3 on the 1-10 scale.  I did get a ton of water up my nose and had to cough it out a little.  Stockton was playing with his cousins in the other pool.  They were having a contest as to who could hold their breath the longest.  He said when he got up he saw me on the 10 meter. I think he couldn't believe it.  I'm glad he got to see me.  Then he knew I really did it!

Later, Stockton and Brandon both went off the 10 meter.  That was their first time.  Stockton said it hurt more than it was scary.  Brandon also went off the 7 meter.  Stockton didn't, he was going on the waterslides then.  I was proud of Brandon, he did a flip off the 3 meter!  There is no way I would do that!  Preston got on the 3 meter, but was quite scared. He ended up coming back down, which is okay.  Jorja wanted to go off the platforms really bad, but you had to be 10 to do that.  Two more months . . . Jorja did a dive off the 3 meter.  She was a little sad when she finished because the dive wasn't perfect.  It was kind of a C shape dive.  I was worried she was hurt, but she was sad because she said she thought she could do it.  I am so proud of her for trying something like that.  I have never done that before.  You will never get to be good at things if you are afraid to fail.  I'm afraid to fail, so I'm just mediocre at everything.

No comments: