Sunday, July 8, 2012

Onsen

Okay, so Rachel was talking about an onsen on her blog and how awesome they are.  Let me tell you what an onsen is.  It is a public bathhouse!  I am not kidding!  They usually separate the men and the women.  First you strip down and wash yourself really good with soap while you are sitting on a stool. Then you go naked in a hot springs and sit there.  I'm not sure what you do, but I know you sit there . . . naked . . with other people.  No wonder Brett didn't want to go to the 'mixed gender' onsen.  His friend went and said he was there with a lot of old Japanese ladies.  Gross!

Anyway, it is pretty funny because Marie LOVES the onsens.  This is the conversation I overheard her having with Maysen.  Now, anytime Marie talks, imagine an adorable 'mickey mouse' type voice.  

Marie:  Maysen, do you want to go to the onsen?  
Maysen:  NO  
Marie: (shocked) Why don't you want to go to the onsen?  
Maysen:  Why do you want to go to the onsen?  
Marie:  Because you get to be NAKED! (At this point Marie throws up her arms in the air.)

Oh man that was funny!  Marie then asked Rachel if she could go to the onsen for her birthday.  If you are wondering, Mike, Maysen and I did not go to the onsen.  But we had plenty of laughs as Brett & Rachel explained it to us and as we looked at the helpful Japanese brochures.  

3 comments:

brett said...

I would post pictures from the onsen but you're not supposed to take your camera in there for some reason.

Brett - Rachel B said...

Marie likes to be one with nature... and now she is old enough not to go with Daddy... remind me to tell you about sometime...

Natalie said...

That is SO FUNNY!! I've been wondering... Oh Marie hahaha