Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Bear

Last night the leaders spent a long time laughing about all the ways they could use the bear suit.  They wanted to wake up the girls with it, have the bear cook breakfast, do arts and crafts, paddle a canoe. Random things.  They also wanted a different leader to dress up as the bear for different activities.  Bryce wore the bear suit to wake up the girls.  I laughed and asked Becky how hard she had to talk him into doing that.  She just laughed.  I knew she wouldn't have to talk him into it.  Waking up people while wearing a bear suit would be right up his alley.

Anyway, I agreed to wear the bear costume while paddling a canoe. The other leaders claimed they didn't know how to paddle a canoe.  The plan was they would take the girls on a planned 3 mile hike.  On their way back, they would text me to get in the canoe.  As they were leaving I yelled out to Jaime with a little terror in my voice, "Look how many people are on the lake!"  She laughed hard!  It was easy for me to stay behind because I spent a long time last night trying to fix a flat tire on our van with Brother Liu.  Mike was going to come pick up the car today and get the tire fixed.  Instead, Brother Liu got up at 5:30 this morning, drove to his house, got a tire repair kit and came back to help me for a long time before he went to work.  Talk about going beyond what is required.  He said that he didn't want Mike to have to come up and back.  I thought - isn't that what you just did?  Mike and Brother Liu worked as primary teachers in the same class for over a year.

Anyway, we were able to get the tire repaired.  I helped Anna Marie clean the cabin while we waited for a text.  When it came, Anna Marie helped me push the canoe into the lake.  She took a few pictures for me. It was SO HARD to see out of the mask!  The next time I paddle a canoe in a bear costume I'm going to make sure I'm in the front of the canoe! When I could see, most of the time I could only see the inside of the canoe.  Not too helpful!  In a lot of the pictures it looks like the bear has its head down.  What a sad bear.  In reality, I had my head up so high - the mask just wouldn't stay up for me!

I paddled around that lake for about an hour!  Seriously!  The leaders told me later that they were trying to hurry down, but they kept laughing imaging me on the lake.  I just kept paddling around, taking pictures with random people . . . waving, blowing kisses . . . the whole nine yards.  After awhile I started thinking, "Did they just tell me to paddle in a bear costume for the girls when in reality they are seeing how long I will stay out here?"  

Finally I heard Camee yell, "Someone stole our canoe!"  I was SO HAPPY!  I started working my way over to where I heard the voice. Everyone was laughing so hard.  Especially the leaders.  Becky said, "It was even greater than I imagined!" and "Whenever I am sad, I'm going to remember this image.  It will be the little happy place in my mind."

Maysen got in the canoe with me.  She even put on the mask and gloves, which looked pretty cool because she was wearing all black.  I don't have a picture of that though because all the pictures on my camera were at the beginning of the adventure.  I'll have to get some of her somehow.
 Stephanie the bear
I wish I had brought more props, because paddling got old after awhile. Like maybe a book and I could pretend I was reading.  Anyway, when we got back to the cabin I decided to put the mask back on as I walked in.  I climbed up the deck stairs and knocked on the back sliding glass door.  I heard Bishop Valentine scream!  That was so funny!  We then talked Jaime into getting in the bear costume.  It was Bishop and Sister Valentine's anniversary.  The beehives had set up a cute lunch table for them.  Athena serenaded them on the guitar.  Jaime came up in the bear costume carrying flowers and bringing dessert.  Bishop wanted to scare Brother Riddle with the bear costume, but he wasn't too surprised.
Jaime the bear
 Ashley, Jaime bear, Eden
 Athena & Kelsee ~ those two became great friends
I was so tired when I got home!  I picked up Stockton, Jorja and Preston and we got free slurpees and Little Caesars' pizza.  Jorja was a little sad. Mike pulled out a package that had arrived while I was gone.  I asked him not to show her until I was there.  She got a new frog shirt.  She loves it!  That perked her up right away!  Perfect timing.
Jorja
As far as girls camp goes, I think this was the easiest one around!  I am very tired though and very glad to be home.

No comments: