Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stockton's First Talk

Stockton gave his first talk in Sacrament meeting today.  He did a great job.  He wrote the talk with little help and wasn't nervous at all when he was up there.  He spoke clear and was just perfect.  This is his talk:

Hello, my name is Stockton Smith, and I've been asked to give a talk on the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood.  Shortly after Jesus Christ died, the Priesthood was taken away from the earth.  In our time, the Priesthood has been restored to the earth again.

In Joseph Smith History, Chapter 1, verses 68 & 69, we read about how this happened.  It says:

"We still continued the work of translation, when, in the ensuing month (May, 1829), we on a certain day went into the woods to pray and inquire of the Lord respecting baptism for the remission of sins, that we found mentioned in the translation of the plates.  While we were thus employed, praying and calling upon the Lord, a messenger from heaven descended in a cloud of light, and having laid his hands upon us, he ordained us, saying:

Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah, I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."

This tells us that we'll always have the Priesthood with us and that we'll never lost it again.  It's comforting to know that, because the Priesthood is a great thing.  But when you receive the Priesthood, what do you do with it?

I received the Aaronic Priesthood the day I turned twelve.  When you receive the priesthood, you do various services for the church, such as passing the sacrament, collecting fast offerings, and doing baptisms for the dead.  Whenever I do these services, I feel good inside.  It makes me feel happy to know that I can help serve others with this special priesthood authority.

I know that the priesthood was restored again to the earth in our day through the prophet Joseph Smith.  The priesthood authority is one of the things that sets the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints apart from all other churches.  I am thankful to be able to have this special blessing in my life.  I feel that it is a special privilege to be able to serve God with it.

And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

The other even we had today was celebrating my mom.  She died 16 years ago today.  We celebrated by having funeral potatoes for dinner. (Thanks for giving them to us Bubs.)  We also picked some flowers from our yard and put them on her grave.
Jorja
 Stephanie trying to clean her mom's grave.
Stockton, Maysen, Jorja, Stephanie, Preston
 Flowers from our yard.  Kind of sad looking . . . oh well.
 Mom
I would like it noted that I hate cancer.  That is all . . . . . 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great talk Stockton! Nice of you to keep Harriet's stone shiny. We are getting so excited to see you!