Monday, April 9, 2012

Winter Quarters

Today was the last day of our trip. It has been really fun, especially watching my dad be so happy. He loves these things. The first thing we did today was go to Mt. Pisgah. This farmer named Bob Brown took us around his property. He has researched the Mormon pioneers for years. He took us to where a cemetery was located, and also foundations of their houses. He showed us how we could tell where they were by using wires. That was cool!
Dad
Amy
Bob Brown
Bob had a replica of a cabin with a thatched roof. He said the cats and dogs use to like to lay down on the grass on the roof. When it would rain really hard, sometimes they would fall in. That is where the saying, 'It's raining cats and dogs' comes from.
Amy and Pepper
This plaque is near the Pisgah monument. This isn't exactly where the accident happened, but the family asked if they could put a plaque here. I took a picture of it because this accident happened the day Stockton was born.
This is one area where wagons came through. Sometimes they were seven wagons across, sometimes as many as one hundred.
Our next stop was Winter Quarters. We wanted to get a picture in front of the temple, but the temple is closed on Mondays. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of my dad opening the gate to the temple!
Winter Quarters Temple
Our group
Closer
I don't know why, but I couldn't help laughing at this.
Brigham Young's chair
Patty Sessions book - her relatives were on the tour with us.
The Winter Quarters Temple overlooks a pioneer graveyard and monument.
Stephanie
Dad
John & Ann Lovell's baby boy
Our last stop was at the Kanesville Tabernacle. This is where Brigham Young was set apart as prophet. They wanted a building to do this, so the Kanesville Tabernacle was built in 18 days.
Kanesville Tabernacle
The new first presidency
Oliver Cowdery was re-baptized here . . . when there was water . . .
There is a block that has gigantic sculptures on it. It was recently finished and is awesome! We didn't have time to stop. Some bank commissioned it . . . really cool!
Our flight home was uneventful. It was late when I got home, so all my kids were asleep. When I walked in I saw this sign on the wall. So cute! I went out to the car and found his ds in about 30 seconds. Mike couldn't believe it. He said, "I asked if you knew where it was!" I told him I didn't. The ds when behind the drivers seat in the pocket. Stockton is going to be happy in the morning!

No comments: