Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Independence

One thing I forgot about yesterday. I took Stockton and Preston to get haircuts. After we went to play racquetball. Preston didn't want to go in the play area, so Stockton and I played a game with Preston running around with a racquet and ball. It was . . . interesting. We had only been playing for about five minutes when the lights went out! I went and asked what happened. The light switches are out by the check-in point. Someone put towels down and accidentally flipped a switch - but it would not come on! They had to call a mechanic. The boys loved playing in the dark. It was quite fun. When the lights started to come on, Preston started chanting, "Put down more towels! Put down more towels!" Then the lights went off again. Preston started cheering! It was funny! After our game, which Stockton won, we played around with three balls. It was great fun! Stockton is starting to love the game. I love it!

We had a LONG flight yesterday. It wasn't too bad. In Denver we had to wait on the airplane for about 45 minutes because they were expecting an unaccompanied minor that hadn't gotten to the airport yet. That put us behind, but that's okay because I would want the plane to wait for my child in that same situation. The flight to Kansas City was BUMPY! It seriously felt like a roller coaster ride. I had never seen anything like that before! One family that is on the tour with us had never been on an airplane before. The nine year old girl said that it was so fun!
Okay, so now for today. Our first stop was in Independence Missouri. I was assigned to read one of the scriptures prophesying of the second coming.
Independence Temple Lot
In the background of this picture you can see the Community of Christ Temple. (Formerly the RLDS)
We went to the LDS visitor center and was able to see exhibits of the WW Phelps printing press. They also had a lot of Liz Lemon Swindle paintings displayed.
Printing Press
Stephanie
The sister missionaries sang How Great Thou Art. It was beautiful!
We then walked over to the Community of Christ Temple. They took us on a tour. This is their organ.
Sanctuary
Here is a picture of the inside of their spiral. It is suppose to remind you of a seashell. Their church focuses on reaching out in peace to all the world.
This is a tree of life art piece they had there. I thought it looked really cool.
At the end of our tour, our guide casually mentions that they have an original manuscript of The Book of Mormon in their museum/gift shop downstairs. They also had Emma Smith's petticoat where she had the manuscript sewn inside as she was fleeing Far West. My dad had no idea those things were down there! It was pretty awesome.

Our next stop was at the Richmond Courthouse. Outside is a statue of Alexander Doniphan. He wasn't a member of the church, but he defended Joseph Smith and protected his life several times.
Alexander Doniphan
Across the street from the courthouse is the Dolly Funeral Home. This is the site where Joseph Smith was held when he 'rebuked the guards'. (It was not a funeral home at the time.)
We then went to the Pioneer Cemetery where Oliver Cowdery's grave is. Although instead of a headstone, there is a monument to the Three Witnesses.
I thought it was interesting how on a lot of the graves they would have the exact age of death. 20 years, 10 months, 22 days. There were many, many graves like this.
We then went to the Richmond Cemetery. Boy do I remember that place! Not the best memories from our trip back in 1989.
This is the street where John was hit by a car when he was 6. That was scary!
We were here visiting David Whitmer's grave.
I remember John wanted my dad to take a picture of Austin King's grave. John and I sat down and leaned our backs against the Holman tombstone (I'm pretty sure it was that one) while we watched my dad. Before my dad even clicked the camera we heard a screech of tires. I looked next to me and there was no John.
Holman/King Tombstones
I immediately knew it was John that was hurt. My mom and dad both were running to the street. You can see how far the street is by where the tour bus is parked. I have no idea how John got down there that fast. My mom was screaming, "Is that my boy?" She thought it was Spencer. He had asked to go to the car. I think John followed him.
When we got to the street we could see John's shoes laying in the road and John twenty feet away (or something like that) laying unconscious on the ground. My dad was trying to get to him as fast as he could that he ran off the ledge.
It is a lot steeper than it looks. He actually had to get his foot looked and and was on crutches himself for awhile. My dad told the story about how John was life flighted to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Missouri. He said that the doctor came to him and said, "Are you sure he got hit by a car?" (This is after waiting all day long by the way.) The doctor said that John had no internal injuries. It was amazing. John had obviously been hit by a car, his entire face was covered in sores. At the first hospital we were told that John had a broken arm, a broken collarbone and would need brain surgery. They said that there was a chance he would be deaf, blind, dumb or all three. John ended up only needing stitches on his ear. Thank goodness for miracles.
Anyway, we then went and visited Liberty Jail. That is where Joseph Smith wrote D&C 121-123. Side note, if you ask my dad which section was written (to make sure you are right), he will go off and quote the entire thing . . . .
We drove by the Kansas City Temple. They are just starting the Open House. It will be dedicated next month. We didn't have time to go in, but they stopped the bus and let anyone who wanted to take pictures to get out. I ran and snapped two pictures. I was crossing the street to get to the bus when the bus took off without me! I couldn't believe it! Luckily it was going quite slow. I was walking next to the bus trying to figure out if my dad was really leaving me. Should I call him and ask him if he was serious? I caught the eye of someone on the bus and waved. They told my dad that he forgot his daughter - then the bus pulled over. Geesh!
Kansas City Temple
That's about it for today. Jorja had a better day than yesterday. She cried after I left until she fell asleep. Maysen said, "I couldn't figure out what exactly she was upset about." That made me laugh. Maysen's funny. It is now past midnight where I am, so I better turn off this computer and get some sleep!

No comments: